Help, please... Icemaker problem - Please help

OK,... here's a problem... Please help if you can... A fairly new fridge,... Kitchenaid Model KSRB27QFBL00 WOW... I'm pretty sure that (from Sears) we bought it in early 2001, but the sticker on the inside says "Mfg date 10/97"... Wow. with the water and ice dispensers thru the door. Everything worked for a few years. Then, the water dispenser worked only occasionally. Then water dispenser wouldn't work. After a few more months, ice-maker wouldn't work. Now... The door-side switches still work... The door-side ice-dispenser still moves and would dispense ice if ice were there. The door-side water-dispencer clicks, but no water comes out... There's no click at either of the solenoids in the back (I removed the cardboard on the back-side). The water suply is good, and pressured. The ice-maker fill tube is Not froze. WHAT is the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark246

Thanks very much, Todd, for the FAST reply, but... I've already verified that the water supply up to the solenoids is good.

What other ideas?

Reply to
Mark246

Basically everything works but no water gets to the front door or the ice maker it sounds like.

Ever changed the filter on it?

Sediment in the lines would explain the problem too.

Yellow pages appliance repair and have someone out. If it's something relativley common, they've probably got some sort of tube to ream out the line.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Water supply beyond the solenoids of course, or the solenoids themselves. If they were failure prone, the water one may have failed before the ice one and would explain your order of failures.

Does your fridge have a filter? Is it beyond the solenoids?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Does it have a filter? I dunno'. Yeah,... maybe it's the solenoids. But... would they both go out at about the same time? Doubtful. I think that a Key piece of info is that the Solenoids don't make any clicks. Isn't that relevant?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark246

If it has one and you've not changed it in 10 years, I'll cheerfully bet a quarter that's the problem.

Which is why I'm buggin ya about a filter through which both ice and water dispensing would go, could clog and cause both to cease functioning.

Certainly possible.

All just guessin of course.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I'd check to see if the line from the solenoids to the ice maker or to the water spout is frozen. Frequently, there are heaters, i.e. small resistors, that keep these from freezing where they pass through the freezer compartment. Also, physical routing of the water lines is critical to not freezing. .

Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
BiffNightly

I'd check to see if the line from the solenoids to the ice maker or to the water spout is frozen. Frequently, there are heaters, i.e. small resistors, that keep these from freezing where they pass through the freezer compartment. Also, physical routing of the water lines is critical to not freezing. .

Reply to
Art Todesco

Make sure the LED is not blocked and it is working. Look at the red light on the right of the icemaker. It normally blinks. Push in the flapper on the left side, with your hand out of the way, it should come on solid. If not, be sure the slide next to the light is pushed back to open the port and that nothing is in the way on the flapper side.

Reply to
gfretwell

solenoids fail pretty often, try powering one right from the power line or check for power at the solenoids........

note they didnt fail together but flaked out pretty close to one another.

I got $$#% at my ice maker wasnt certain if it was the maker itself or the solenoid, found the icemaker jit wasnt much more than the solenoid so bought the kit, changed solenoid problem went away.

put leftover maker in storage for later use

Reply to
hallerb

Say What? Are you referring to some Light Emitting Diode on the fridge? Where is that? And... how can an LED be blocked? Are you referring to the small red indicator on the outside of the door that indicates Crushed or Cubed ice? THAT thing sorta' looks like an LED, but it's just a red plastic piece that is physically moved into place when you push the Crushed or Cubed button. It works fine. Are you referring to something that's inside?... on the icemaker? I can't find any LED on the icemaker. The dispensing mechanism works. There's simply no ice there to dispense. I don't understand your suggestion there, gfretwell. Please explain. Thanks.

Reply to
Mark246

OK,... I detached Both tubes from the solenoids to the (Icemaker & Water dispenser in the front)... Ran water thru them... Both tubes are clear. I applied 120V to both solenoids... they do Buzz, but no water gets thru. I disassembled the entire plastic assembly with the solenoids and saw the water path thru the assembly... saw nothing crazy there... re-assembled it... I applied 120V to both solenoids... they buzz, and one lets water thru, the other doesn't. I disassembled the plastic assembly again... re-assembled it with the solenoids switched places... I applied 120V to both solenoids... they buzz, but neither one lets water thru. I disassembled the plastic assembly again... re-assembled it with the solenoids back in their original positions... I applied 120V to both solenoids... they buzz, but neither one lets water thru now. I think I need to replace the entire assembly... yes?

Thanks for your help, people.

Reply to
Mark246