Icemaker supply line problem?

My icemaker puts out only a cube or 2 and then the line inside freezes up.The cold water dispenser on the door barely trickles. I see no kink in the line.I live in a moderate water hardness place.Is it suggested that I flush the supply line with vinegar? How do I test this line?Where do the ice maker and cold water line come apart from the supply from the wall? Thanks

Reply to
GBienert

The water to the ice maker is controled by a solinoid valve and is seperate from the soliniod that controls your cold water dispenser.

First. The water to the ice maker is turned off and on at the solinoid and that is located in the lower part to the back of the frig. From there it goes up a line on the outside the back to a plastic gravity feed fitting that leads to the ice mold. The never stands in this gravity feed fitting so it can't freeze, unless the solinoid leaking by a little and that small amount freezes after the main flow stops. If you are seeing a accumulation of ice in this plastic fitting, then you need a new solinoid valve..

The water dispenser could be due to low water pressure or the isolation valve is partially closed. The isolation valve is normally where the supply line comes from the house supply.. Someone may have tried closing that to solve the icemaker problem.. If that valve is open fully, then you may have blockage in the plastic line leading from the cold water soliniod to the door. Or the screen where the water enters the solinoid is clogged.

Reply to
Steve

I don't know how you'd go about that.

It is usually screwed onto the water fill valve attached to the back of the refrigerator's cabinet. You can read about the water valves used on appliances at the following link:

I would think the most likely places for a blockage in the water supply would be a filter screen in the water line where it attaches to the fridge's water valve and/or the valve attached to your house water pipe. If a 'self piercing' type of "saddle valve" was installed or any type of saddle valve was installed on the underside of the water pipe, it could be plugged with line and scale and should be replaced.

Only a drill type saddle valve should be used and mounted in the side of a vertical water pipe or the top of a horizontal pipe or else frequent blockages may occur, reducing water pressure.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to