Subject Author Posted Replies

Self locking folding hinge
Have been asked for advice on making a folding wooden walking stick for a large heavy man. So its got to be something a bit stronger than usual. Was thinking of something like using 2 inches (5cm) by...
14
14

Cabinet hinges
I'll need to make new wall cabinets (maple 3/4" ply, about 3' 6" tall). I'm thinking about hinges. perhaps: It seems to me that there are a few things to consider: What tools are required to mount...
5
5

home boiler trouble
Before I go into deep detail here I am putting this question out just in case there may be something I overlooked. I installed this boiler and controls (complete) 35 years ago and maintained it ever...
4
4

How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears Craftsman 358.351.800 18 inch chain saw? Ever since it was new, my two-stroke Sears Craftsman 358351.800 18" 40cc chain saw has been...
141
141

Broken bollard
So I have some concrete bollards lining my driveway and some idiot delivery man hit one backing out and it has broken. Is there an easier way to remove/replace it than breaking it up?...
11
11

French Drain: Holes Up For Gutter Sludge?
I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water from several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of the gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up...
9
9

Low voltage/underground wiring question
I'm helping a friend install a solar pool heater for an inground pool. There will be a solar pool controller mounted on the side of the house. This controller runs the pump and valves and basicly...
10
10

Sink Drains
I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but replace the metal drains. Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin? Many thanks. Kate
19
19

Follow-up on Golf-Cart charger
So, where were we? Even though the manager said I could throw away the chargers, I would never get rid of parts for anything until the original problem is resolved. Today I got a call from the other...
6
6

How cheap can a cheap battery charger be?
How cheap can a cheap battery charger be? Do all chargers except the very cheapest turn off when the battery is charged, or are there still some big expensive ones that don't do that, as for a golf...
10
10

Insulating irregular joist spaces
Almost finished excavating my crawl space. Down to 42" throughout. The floor joists (some 6" some 8") are placed at irregular intervals. While some are nearly 24" o.c., most of them are not. Spacing...
6
6

bug problem
Why are there so many bugs this year? Another cycle of black flies, minges or no see ums. I can't wait for a freeze.
4
4

Projectile Vomiting In Cats
I've had a little female cat since she was a kitten. She was feral and abandoned under a bush by her mother so we took her in, bathed her to kill off the fleas and had her spayed... that was 4 years...
21
21

Back Door Problem
I'm having trouble getting my back door to close. The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking out and raking the bottom of the seal. Any fix?
15
15

Build your own telescope
Using bowling balls, peach cans, roller-skate bearings, and Legos. Easily within the skill-set of your average DIYer. Popular Mechanics article on amateur telescopes Aside Where I went to school, we...
2
2