Subject Author Posted Replies

Partial follow-up on mysterious snap-trap thief
Thanks for the suggestion that were posted after my inquiry. Well I've tried the string with the peanut butter trick. The foot plate comes with a hole at the end so it was easy to thread a short...
5
5

Multi-Tool Question
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the...
9
9

tankless water heater
home depot and lowes sells these, models requiring either 2 x 40 amp or 3 x 40 amp breakers, depending on power has anyone installed these and what are your observations / recommendations ?
25
25

How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?
How do you know when your soldering iron is tinned? I keep mine plugged in for 5-10 minutes then when I try tin it, the solder beads up and just drips offs. It doesn't seem to "wet" the tip. Is it...
96
96

hot water tank..new vs old
For the past 40 years I have installed 4- 40 gallon hot water tanks (natural gas) in my home. Today I picked up a new 30 gallon tank, installed it, fired up and could not believe the pressure rise as...
11
11

"Express" (hah!) Scan-it-yourself checkouts
I would hate those checkouts on principle (on the grounds that they are designed to put checkers out of work) even if they weren't so often moronic: "Please put the item in the bag" it told me time...
77
77

OT Yesterday's temperature
Anyone know of a weather service that allows you to check the temperature over the past week or two? The day's high is all I am really interested in.
11
11

phil's outlet question
I'm going to be changing an outlet from a two prong to a 3 prong. The wires are BX cable and the metal box is grounded through the armor. Is the outlet then grounded when I attach is to the box or do...
5
5

OT - Anyone having Posting Issues using Teranews past couple days?
I'm using Xnews. Hit send. Sits there and says Done Waiting for Confirmation. Never get it. But it does get posted which is why I did a bunch of duplicates yesterday. Tried with alt.test. Same...
2
2

New Zealand deer, er, dear
"Mears shot 25-year-old Ms Ives dead while she was brushing her teeth at a Turangi camp ground. Mears mistook a light on her head for the eyes of a deer." I just bought a cap with LED lights in the...
16
16

New Schlage locks
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that allows you to change out the pins yourself. He said they were "un-pickable." If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths. Andy
9
9

Maytag electric dryer motor hums
The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and still just a hum. I want to try to rotate the shaft, but it's very stiff. Anyone know how to get at the motor? I have the front...
4
4

PEX Ring Types
I was looking on Ebay for the PEX tools. Several refer to Copper Rings or Stainless Steel rings. What are the standard ones normally sold at home repair centers or hardware stores? Most I have seen...
3
3

Shoplifter of the Week: Copper edition
(Nov. 23) Deputies in Kent County, Mich., are looking for three men who allegedly stole shopping carts full of copper items and tools from Menards stores in Ohio and Michigan, according to a report by...
72
72

closet lighting
I've been working on shelves and storage in the rental house. They are kind of odd shaped closets and needed some custom shelves which turned out really well. It's amazing how non square corners can...
10
10