Subject Author Posted Replies

(OT) Lost in Space in the Endeavor forever
If things go as planned, the space shuttle Endeavor will be launched into space on Monday May 16, 2011. What they are not taking into account is that the world is scheduled to end on May 21, 2011...
19
19

capping a gas line
I want to cap my gas line right in front of the fireplace, so that I can have the fireplace replaced. The problem is that there is no valve between the meter and the fireplace. Is it OK to just...
34
34

Seeking home surveillance FAQ
I'm looking to keep an eye on an area outside of my home from about 10 p.m. until about 6 a.m. I need good resolution, IR, a microphone and the ability to record the video output. Wired is OK, and I'm...
2
2

B&S engine idles good, Smokes black at high speed.
It seems fairly obvious that fuel is bypassing the high-speed jet. Maybe the needle has worn down. If gas was not bypassing the high- speed jet, with the jet fully screwed in, the engine would die at...
8
8

Fried outlet
I had an outage due to my own ****ing foolishness. Flipped the relevant breaker & all was well -- I thought. Went to watch a little TV before sleep; whole "entertainment center" dark. Traced it to...
11
11

Belt driven small mower
Years ago I was able to hit a stump with a rented belt driven mower. Do they still exist as I'd like to get one with under 18 cutting width.
7
7

Books on designing & (re) building porches for old homes
I need to completely rebuild the (covered) front porch for our 1870's Italianate clapboard house. I am looking for 1 or more books for the following two purposes: 1. Basic construction plans, tips &...
6
6

Fixing Crack in Poured Concrete Foundation
I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that I want to fix. I searched the net but many of the suggestions were for an interior repair. The basement is finished at that point and I don't want...
9
9

And one remained standing - earthquake resistant design
Pretty cool idea on how to deal with all of the shear forces and shaking.
3
3

How to secure 2X2 interlocking foam mats to concrete
I have made a 16' X 16' mat out of those grey 2X2 interlocking foam mats as a platform fo my 14 foot round Intex pool. It is on my concrete patio in the backyard. So far it is working out great. The...
3
3

throttle on craftsman lawnmower vascilates
I have a craftsman 21" lawn mower. (model 917.388510) Every year, I do minimal maintenance including draining the gas and oil, replace the spark-plug, cleaning the air filter and occasionally...
4
4

Shopping cart craft
Add a cushion and you're good to go: http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/white-trash-repairs-not-a-kludge-this-looks-comfy.jpg
2
2

Building an Upside-Down House
I want my house to be different. I want an upside-down house. Everyone puts light fixtures on the ceiling. I want to put mine on the floor. Is there any code about this? I'm also going to put doors...
5
5

Did you give her a Mothers Day gift?
Did you give your computer MOTHERboard a Mothers Day gift? What did you give her?
3
3

How to check out a fluorescent bulb?
My eight foot light is not working, and changing bulbs does not seem to help. How can I tell whether the problem is the bulbs or the ballast? Thanks
14
14