Subject Author Posted Replies

Lennox vs. Amana
My problem is all too common this time of year. Our Heil single stage SEER 13 AC unit began making a buzzing sound when the compressor runs and now fails to cool the house. A tech looked at it last...
3
3

hard to clean Plastic Shower Floors
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers, and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors. It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily. I think I've tried almost everything,...
15
15

Shrubbery To Soak Up Water
I live in the Northeast, in an area with a high water table. The bushes around my house are getting old and don't look so great anymore. I have two quesions. 1) Can I plan new bushes now, or should I...
5
5

Wood screw drills
Yeah, my junk drawer :) Sears used to sell them in the 60s and 70s. They also sold a collar device for them to adjust depth of countersink. They worked OK for a while - a short while - but soon...
9
9

Electrical Question
I have a 500 hp generator that I have never actually used. The directions say use a 12 gauge cord with it ... I bought 14 gauge cords. Are these too strong? Next question. Our weed eater stopped...
20
20

lighted switch
Over at the sister-in-law's last weekend, noticed a ceiling fixture was dark and volunteered to put in a new bulb, hero that I am. While putting in the new bulb I noticed that the lighted switch that...
6
6

string trimmer line size
I can't seem to find evidence of this online or at stores, but iirc, weed whacker line used to come in a lot of sizes smaller than 0.065 inches. Right now I have two very nice weed whackers, and...
6
6

Basement Water Behind Paneled Wall
I've been in the same house for 21 years now. I had water on the UN-finished side of my basement for a number of years. At some point a few years back, I saw that it was leaking in through a small...
3
3

garage door opener
I have a Liftmaster 1991 1/3 hp opener, it reverses when it hits bottom, I tightened the chain and have tried playing with down force and reducing the travel adjustments but have had no luck even...
13
13

Hair Dryer and Smoke Detector?
Something I never knew or even thought about... One of the ladies in our office lost her electricity yesterday thanks to Katrina and by this morning it wasn't restored. She took a shower at home and...
8
8

X-10 RF home automation being overwhelmed by M2 OFF, C2 OFF and Gxx DIM signals
Howdy all, Slowly but surely, my X-10 RF reception is being knocked out by endless streams of these commands broadcast on different days at different times. M2 OFFs C2 OFFs Gxx DIMs At first, when...
28
28

Power Washer as Pressure Assist
I need to do some water testing of a skylight assembly that is about 80' ab= ove the ground. When I run hoses up the skylight, the pressure drop is so = great that I don't get much water flow. If I...
7
7

Rehash please - best non-gas generators
We've sat through another extended (16 hr) power outage, and some around here (north Jersey/NYC area) are still without power. This time it wasn't hot or cold, but who knows what the next time will...
41
41

Tree blowed over?
Due to a hurricane? One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position and guying it in place. Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy. Don't know if this...
10
10

Adding an overflow to a bathtub without one.
A friend asked me if he can add an overflow to a bathtub in a trailer home. Many of these trailer bathtubs never had an overflow, which I am aware. His elderly mother has memory loss and is constantly...
6
6