Yet Another Deck Stain Question

I haven't been having much luck finding a good deck stain/sealant. Our deck is three years old. We initially put some flavor of Thompson's on it, as I recall, but it might been Behr. It was something inexpensive from Home Depot. Last year we used a waterproofer (can't remember the brand) but it didn't do anything cosmetically for the deck and now it really looks bad.

I want to find a good stain/protectant that will last for at least a few years. I don't mind if it's a little expensive. I'd rather go expensive and get something that lasts than to go inexpensive again and get something I have to redo every year.

The biggest factor in choosing a product for me is that this deck gets no shade. It's in the sun pretty much all day long, so I need something that would stand up to that amount of heat. I ran across something called One TIME Wood that costs about $85 per gallon. They guarantee that a single coat will last seven years. That's starting to look pretty good but I can't find it locally.

Do the big places like Home Depot or Lowe's carry anything that's actually high quality, or can I expect most of the stuff they sell to be about the quality of the Thompson's stuff?

Thanks! John

Reply to
jneiberger

Mark L.

The Thompson's is going to be your limiting factor I believe, John. I put it on my new deck 16 yrs ago and it still won't allow stain to soak in. I was told that its's the silicone causing this. I used Cabot's on it about four or five years ago and the vertical surfaces still look pretty good for the most part (except for the weather side). Horizontal surfaces have weathered badly and traffic patterns are only holding color in grooves and deep grain. When the g,kids sit on it they come up with red bottoms. That's my experience and looks like my lot until the thing gives up the ghost. At least I have to say that it is solid and stable so I probably has a good 10 or 15 yrs left in it. Oh yea, the fact that it has gable end roof over it probably has everything to do with the longevity of the lumber and the stain!

Reply to
C & E

CWF-UV.

You can tint it if you wish. Great UV protection & application characteristics.

Rob

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
trainfan1

John - A lot will depend on hat second "waterproofer" you mention. Thomson's and Behr are junk as you have found out.

if that 'waterproofer' was a wood sealer then you may be in trouble. If it was a stain then you may be OK. Like another has said - The Thomsons may also cause compatibility problems with other products.

OK - Here are some good products.

penetrating oils... Penofin Cabots "timber oil"

The timber oil is a new product I think. I used it for the first time this past weekend. i really liked it. penofin is similar. These oils work by penetrating the wood, they do not provide a film on top (You do not want that film on top). They are very easy to renew. Yo just slap the stuff on and wipe off excess. Garden sprayers will work too. When things start to look a bit tired you just spray the deck down again and you are good to go.

Stains with UV... Sikkens - This has been my favorite. I have used it on climbing structures and furniture with good success. Cabbots - Makes this too, I cant comment.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

deck stain/sealant. Our

Whatever you do stay away from Behr Weatherproofing wood sealer. Neither HD or Behr will stand behind the product even with the 4-year warranty. My application on a cedar deck barely lasted a year. Their committment was non-existant. Look at the Cabot stuff......

Reply to
slicked152

The company that makes CWF-UV also makes these other deck products:

- CWF-UV5 (different from CWF-UV)

- Spa-N-Deck

- Semi-Transparent Deck & Siding Stain

I wonder why they make 4 different deck treatment products and what the differences are.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Tell us more:

- When you say "the application lasted barely a year", what do you mean by that? Describe in a bit more detail what exactly happened to the finish. Can you post a picture?

- How old is your deck?

- What condition is it in?

- What is the climate like in your area?

- Does it have a N, E, W, or S exposure? Is it shaded or in full sun?

- What products had you used on it previously?

- How did you prepare the surface before applying the Behr product?

- What was the weather like the day before, the day after, and the day of application?

- How many coats did you apply? Wet-on-wet, or wet-on-dry?

Reply to
Ether Jones