Would You Trust This Jack Stand?

The 8 x 8 piece of hickory I have seems to work in any direction. It held up a barn for decades before I got it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure! Hickory jack stands are the best.

Reply to
Vagina Whisperer

Old growth hickory would be hard to split even with an axe or maul - so it would LIKELY be safe. I'd still ise any of my purpose built jack stands ahead of the block of wood end-grade up, regartdless. I HAVE used wood, and rocks, and all kinds of other stuff when stuck "in the bush" when nothing else was available - but I was VERY carefull!!

Reply to
clare

I just use it as a secondary support if the first one should give out. I don't go under a car with only one support, either a stand or jack. Only takes seconds to be sure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

After 48 years using various jacks and stands I know what to trust - and a jack stand on sand does not make the cut. A big block of wood strategically placed as a backup DOES make "dodgy" setups a little more re-assuring. (as does a couple og wheels and tires stacked under the car). Wouldn't want to use them as the main support - and always hoping they won't be needed.

Reply to
clare