Would you hide the wiring behind the flat panel TV?

If you are mounting your flat panel TV on the wall, how would you deal with the wiring that comes out of the wall?

The wiring include:

Cable feed - RG6 Component Pb Py P from DVD player Audio L R for Component Composite video from VHS player Audio L R for Composite

That's nine wires altogether.

I can make the hole in the wall such that it's behind the TV, put a retrofit box in it and then just use a plate with a 2" circular hole, and connect everything to the TV. Alternatively, I can buy one of those modular face plate - I think the most they have is 8 ports so I will need a double box with 6 ports each and make 9 AV jacks. And then I get real short cables from the TV to these jacks.

What I found is that those will have to be REAL short cables or else they dangle at the bottom of the TV and looks pretty ugly. On the other hand, these TV have these jacks all the way in the back and if you are mounting them flush, you have to be able to see them to connect the jacks, and you can't mount them first then do the connections, it's tricky.

Now after all is said and done, the TV is like 40" off the floor but the electrical outlet is much lower, so there is a power cord that hangs down to plug in, which spoils the "looks like a picture hanging on the wall" look totally.

To relocate the outlet for it will be an overkill (I have metal rigid conduits behind the wall so it's not that easy) do you agree?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Not that I'll ever be high enough on the food chain to have to deal with that problem, but if I had to do such an install, wanted to make it pretty, and didn't want to open the wall, I'd make a raised panel that goes from close to the floor, to close to the ceiling, either with the same finish as the wall or a contrasting color, and hide the wires behind that. Doesn't have to be deep- 1or 2 inches will do. Maybe even put some low-power rope lights behind the edges of the panel to provide indirect lighting in the room while watching- I think one brand of wall-hung units provides that as a factory option.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I used a couple wiring channels made for that kind of use. It is not as pretty as all in the wall, but a lot easier and considering the was was a fire wall with insulation, I felt it was the best solution. If it were a standard interior wall, I think I would have used the modular connection boxes idea.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan