WindowsRUs

Hello:

In our 10-year old house with wooden windows, two windows have rotten wood on the bottom part (above the sil) Window 1: central (fixed) part of a bay window - 3'x6' Window 2: palladium window (only the rectangular part) - 6'x6'

I took four quotes and they all seem to agree on one thing: sashe needs to be replaced on both of them, not the complete window. They will remove the sashe and look at the bottom frame and if there is a problem replace it.

All of them are offering vinyl windows as replacements. Low E double glass with grids.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote 1: local handy man window 1: $400 + $250 (install) window 2: $558 + $550 (install) total $1758 (approx) extra for fixing sil (up to $100)

Quote 2: Window World window 1: $329 + 25 (grids) window 2: $364 + 25 (grids) + $50 (wrapping exterior trim) total $793 (approx) (including installation)

Quote 3: Atlanta Area Window and Door Company window 1: $696 window 2: $853 total $1549 (approx) (including installation)

Quote 4: Duracraft (Gorell 5300 series windows) window 1: $469 + $50 (install) window 2: $521 + $50 (install) + $75 (wrapping exterior trim) total $1195 will replace sil if required at no additional cost.

Questions:

  1. would replacing wooden windows with vinyl window look bad? neither of the windows are such that there is an identical window next to it? people seem to think that vinyl windows are cheap and they look that way too... our windows are white...not stained
  2. do you have experience with Window world windows or Gorell windows?
  3. I am stymied by the vast difference in prices - are there specific questions that I need to ask?
  4. the local handyman said that he will have to rent scaffolding, etc. None of the window companies seemed to think that it was necessary. thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
John Smith

Personally, I think vinyl windows look ok. As long as it's not a fancy or historic house or a rich neighborhood, I doubt you'd hurt resale by installing vinyl windows. If looks were important, you could get vinyl windows clad with a wood appearnce.

Most importantly though, have you actually seen or operated the windows that they propose to install? And are they custom sizes, or standard? Custom will fit the window opening better.

Reply to
FDR

I can't see what is there, but the labor seems a bit on the high side. If he charges $50 an hour he is looking at 11 hours on window #2. Find out just what he is going to do.

They looked cheap 20 years ago, but quality and appearance has improved considerably. They should look just fine.

Ask each one of the contenders how they are going to replace them. If it is up high, siding has to be removed, then yes, it is best done from staging and can be expensive. If, OTOH, they are removing sashes, leaving the existing framing in place, and setting in a replacement from inside, no staging is needed and labor is much lower. The window pros would already have that equipment if it is needed and not have to charge a lot for use.

I questioned the labor cost of the handyman, but he may be the only one doing the job the "right" way. Get some details as to what is involved.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski