windows replacement

I just got an estimate for replacing the old aluminum widows on my house in Tucson, and I am still in shock. It runs about $1500 per average-size window--installed. I have adequate experience in doing the installation, but I am wondering about where I could get good- quality vynil double-bane replacements. Would Lowes and HD be the places to look at? Thanks.

Reply to
hat

$1500??! Hey, I live south of Tucson (Green Valley) and am having Lowes replace my 8' sliding glass door for less than that.

See Robert Glynn at the Lowes on West Valencia (520-714-2400) and have him give you a detailed estimate. At the least it'll give you a reference point to work from.

Reply to
DonC

id use window world if you have one in your area. i use their windows in my rentals and home..get 2 pane low e glass installed for 210.00 ea..damn good window.. lucas

ds549

Obviously it's hard to refute that price without knowing a number of details regarding what needs to be done to get your old windows out and the new ones in, but $1500 *per* seems a tad high. I went to a contractor's supply house and bought better windows than you can get through Lowes or HD and paid roughly $200 each, on average. Installation was "easy", considering there was not a lot of exterior trim work, although I did go above and behind what a contractor would have done with the trim.

I'd really like to know what you are getting for $1500 *per* - both in the quality of window and the labor involved.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

wrote ..

We had estimates by Lowes and HD for 2 windows here. HD was almost twice the cost.

Reply to
Cshenk