Window repair question

You don't want either of the caulks, obviously.

I looked at the Ace web site for that glazing compound and it was less than helpful. I've not tried that particular one; it sounds similar to the product I disrecommended for the neophyte as being hard to work quickly as the surface skims over very quickly once it's in place and makes it difficult to get a good clean edge when not practiced in using the putty knife.

I couldn't find the instruction/usage data on the web site; I've got to run to town tomorrow anyway, I'll see if it's on the shelf to take a look at. If it expects the "triangular tip" to be all you're going to need to get a clean finished edge, I have my doubts. The other problem w/ the tube types I've used previously is they aren't stiff enough so that they sag before they cure so the shape after they were knifed isn't the same shortly after when set.

The traditional compound is still the standard in my book...

--

Reply to
dpb

See? Guess where it was leaking. ________________

You don't need a bit that will do the full depth in one pass. In fact, you should do it in 2-4 passes. _______________

Do 'em right - bottom too - or you'll be back to leaks in no time.

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually - there was a pane missing and a piece of cardboard in it's place. The rotted bottom was only part of the problem, and not why I originally decided to overhaul it. IOW I could see the caulk (on the inside, they installed the window in the frame backwards) was dried and splitting, plus a missing pane. After I removed it, I found the rotted wood. I'll take some pics and post the before/during/after images.

I'm easy to convince. The side pieces rotted at the bottom where the were joined to the bottom piece. The top piece and the cross pieces (I forget what they are called) are the only ones in good shape. It looks like the bottom piece was not a single piece of wood, but it looks like they laminated three pieces together. One with the greek or whatever finish (ogee router bit?), one center piece, and a narrower piece for the rabbet. Weird. My approach is to use a single piece and just use my router to shape it. I have one bit already, I just need the deeper rabbet bit.

I have a 1/4 bit I can use for the first pass, and a 3/8 I can use for the second. I'm not a router expert, I would have just done the 1/2 rabbet in one pass...

Reply to
Zootal

I take back a few of the evil things I've said about Home Depot. They actually had buckets of DAP 33 on the shelf. And my wife bought me a router table for an early christmas present. Time to have some serious fun now :)

Reply to
Zootal

But it makes no sense to do so for a car that is old, high mileage and driven where the elements take their toll on the body, electrical system, suspension, ad infinitum. Similar to that kind of car, the OP has rotted windows...if he wants to play with tools there is always Habitat for Humanity. They would be glad to see him.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Eventually, but it probably still isn't the best $$ decision--that would be to replace w/ used which to make the analogy would be to visit the Habitat reclaimed store.

As for the OP, there's no indication he has more than one window that needs some significant repair to the frame and some unspecified number of panes of glass and a little effort. And, indeed, window-making is one of the more enjoyable crafts--takes some effort, but w/ a router and a table, today it's well within the reach of the DIY'er and a sure-fire self-satisfaction generator...

--

Reply to
dpb

I would concur. Expanding on comments I made in an earlier post, if the project is for entertainment or skill development, then the rationale of economics must take second place. As for the OP searching for router bits, he should be well plugged in to Magnate.net and MLCS, two of the woodworkers favorites for years. Magnate also has the Legacy woodworking machines for making fancy columnar wood pieces such as are popular in kitchen cabinetry these days.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote: ...

But the economics is still far in favor of the "repair rather than replace" given the price of replacement (even "cheap", not "inexpensive") windows.

I'd not run across magnate, thanks.

Seem to be on order of MLCS and ilk altho I noticed they did list Amana.

Unless it's a one-off job, I'll invest in the Amana, Whiteside, or similar rather than the inexpensive imports that aren't polished as well, therefore not as sharp to begin with and tend to have less and poorer quality carbide. But, always good to have other places to search.

--

Reply to
dpb

It may be true that the elements take their toll on the various subsystem, thus increasing the risk of future failure. But when does that become grounds to discard it and buy a new/newer one? Where do you draw the line? I can repair it, or I can replace it. I consider the cost of fixing plus risk of future failure, and the cost of replacement and the risk of future failure of the replacement. I consider my time investment versus my available time, add it all up, and choose the one that makes most sense to me.

It makes most sense to me to fix the windows. My time investment is minimal - it's not that difficult to manufacture replacement wood parts. Glass panes are less then $2 each, the cost of wood is about a buck. I already have router, table saws, misc. wood working tools, paint, glaziers compound is cheap, nails and glue I have. I whipped out the bottom wood piece last night in between ping pong games with my daughters. I'll whip out the side pieces tomorrow evening. A bit of glue and a few nails, some glaziers compound, a few panes of glass, a bit of paint, and I have a window that looks great and will last many years. And I can puff out my chest, pat myself on the back, and say I did it myself, didn't take a lot of time, and it cost less then $10. And I'm neither carpenter nor glazier, yet this I can do.

A relative of mine looks at me like I'm nuts. Like some here, he can't understand why I would do this. He would be the first to run down to the local hardware store of his choice and just buy something. Then he would pay someone to install it. Considering he doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from another, for him this is probalby a good choice. I like to make salsa from scratch - an onion, a jalapeno, a few tomatos and tomatillos, cilantro, lime, chop, mix, and you have uber fresh salsa. He looks at me like I'm nuts and asks why I just don't go buy some from the store instead of wasting my time.

What makes no sense to some, makes perfect sense to others :-)

Reply to
Zootal