Window draft

Window draft open original image

I’m getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?

Reply to
Rem Ram

Any idea the window manufacturer so can look at install instructions?

I've not seen such; then again I've only installed a set of new Pella windows recently as the only window ever had that wasn't by now at least

50 years old; the house here is 100+ and solid frames; none of the newfangled triple-pane glass tilt-in stuff there.

The Pellas are wood and tilting and all, but the outer frames are solid; no such holes there.

I'm guessing there's an adjusting/mounting screw at the bottom of that hole and that the unit was supplied with plug/cap to cover, but that's hypothesis.

I'd put a plug in there w/ a windstop behind it that could extract if need be...there's no reason for there to be a wind path.

--dpb

Reply to
dpb

Was the OP possibly referring to the holes in the strips next to the window?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hmmmm....maybe. I thought that was in between the glass panes, but now I guess it isn't. That then almost makes it look like the inside pane of the sealed double-pane is gone.

Dunno. Never saw nuttin' looked like that before.

Reply to
dpb

The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.

Reply to
Remram

Unsure the manufacturer but I’m guessing there was supposed to be a cap/plug to cover that hole after install.In any event I am using rope caulk to plug over the winter months.Will try and find something more appropriate in the spring. Tks

Reply to
Remram

Maybe you could just use some good sticky tape if it's the holes in the strips next to the window panes. The tape would be pushed off if there is a pressure buildup that shouldn't be happening.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Op? The hole is located in the channel in which the lower pane moves up and down within...just above right upper end of lower pane.

Reply to
Remram

Me either.

Reply to
trader_4

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows, I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

Reply to
trader_4

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to avoid confusion. Never noticed the big hole.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Rem Ram submitted this idea :

Just a wild guess, but it might be an access hole for attaching whatever acts like a counterweight these days. If so, it should have had a cover for it.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Definitely plug the hole - or just put a piece of tape over it. It is a hole someone put there for a mounting screw. I suspect the window was not properly installed (not adequately foamed, etc) I did work for

2 different window sales/installer companies a few decades back and installed all my own replacement windows.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Taking a closer look I see 4 holes drilled through the inner glass? Some people do that when the seal fails and the glass builds up condensation between the panes. The row of small holes in the "spacer" is to allow the dessicant inside the spacer to absorb any moisture in the air between the 2 sealed panes. Should not be any draft from that.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

In other words the hole is in the jam, just above the lower sash.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No plunger - that latch is for the "tilt" feature.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's what I thought. I don't remember ever seeing so many little holes in a window.

Reply to
micky

I'm still looking for good software to do that with.

Me neither.

Reply to
micky

It could be for both. The handle on the slide is in the middle. All the way away from the frame to tilt the window in, and all the way to the frame to go into that hole.

And it really does look like the upper inner pane is missing.

Reply to
micky