Fanheaters suck

Do not use a fan heater upside down attached to the ceiling. When the motor fails, the overheat cutout is at the bottom instead of the top and does not switch it off. The casing then catches fire (I thought that kind of plastic was fireproof!) - luckily I walked past it as it did it and smelt burning. Although I notice another brand (Micromark) to that one (Glen) doesn't even have a cutout....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Bad place to put a fan heater anyway.

Reply to
Fred

There are some designed to be fixed to the wall and operated by a pull cord for use in bathrooms.

Obviously a portable one shouldn't be fixed to a ceiling.

Reply to
Max Demian

Who in their right mind would put a fan heater upside down and on the ceiling? They are simply not designed for that usage.

All I can say is - RTFM

But that is unlikely to work with you.

Reply to
Xeno

But fans blow!

Reply to
Xeno

There are special fan heaters for mounting over doors in shops. They have sensors in them but the innards are surprisingly otherwise similar to domestic and greenhouse units. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It doesn't say it must be operated upright on the label, it just says it has a safety cutout. The manual is long gone as it's 15 years old.

It's on the ceiling to be out of the way, especially from parrots that chew cables.

I wonder about the Micromark one which has no cutout installed. I guess the thermostat would keep switching it off if the fan failed, but would that be enough? A cutout should need manually resetting by cycling the power. Why the hell do they make a 3kW heater out of plastic that can catch fire? When I were a lad they were made of steel.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not obvious that it would fail to work upside down. It's still blowing horizontally as it expects. I could have mounted it upright, but the base of it was flat and convenient to attach.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

LOTS of forced air "Seiling mount heaters" are used commercially.. Every garage I worked in has them. Comfort Zone Heaters -

the electric version.

the industrial gas unit by Modine.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

DAMHIKT???? Seriously thanks, it was something I was considering doing in my downstairs loo.

Reply to
Graham.

I should think a parrot would successfully chew a cable once. You have

230 VAC, right?
Reply to
rbowman

Can you blame the parrot? The grease from Red Lobster's fried clams was probably still stuck on those cables.

Reply to
bruce bowser

As I said in another place, there are heaters which are meant for mounting over doors, so they should one hopes, be protected. I have never seen the plastic catch fire as such but they can be very much mangled and be unrepairable afterwards before the fuse goes. Back into old days they were made of metal and some including greenhouse heaters seem to have a sensor in both top and bottom. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I looked that up and it apparently means "smoking a huge amount of marijuana." Not sure how that applies here.

It would be safer in there with the water to extinguish things.

On the subject of "safety", if we didn't have earths, there would be no problem dropping your radio in the bath, or touching a live wire while your knee is against a washing machine. Earthing is the stupidest and most dangerous idea ever. It's a complete circuit that kills you, not the live by itself.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If the 3kW element stays on with no fan, the plastic can burn. Only a candle sized flame though, which continued to fuel itself after I turned off the power, I had to blow it out. I turned the power off about 10 seconds after I switched it on, not sure how bad it would have got if it was left on indefinitely. I presume eventually all the plastic would be gone, leaving an element dangling about to set fire to anything it touched.

As they should be. Hot things should not be near plastic.

I bought some of those greenhouse heater tubes, 150 or 250W, can't remember which. I think they're meant to mount horizontally, but they didn't fit in my marijuana cupboard that way round so I installed them vertically. The paint bubbled at one end after a year, so I guess uneven heating was taking place. One of them the element snapped (perhaps due to being hot at that end) which I soldered back together.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Actually they've gone through loads, probably the worst that would happen would be live to neutral/earth within the mouth, bloody sore but not life threatening. I actually removed the earth from my microwave oven in case it went through her feet (although they're very scaly so maybe not conductive?) Now if I touch the case and the sink while it's on, I feel a tingle. I guess there's induction from something in there.

I assume they've never got a shock as they keep doing it. Apart from one who managed to short out the wire inside a wall light. It caused a loud flash which echoed in the glass shade, and scared the shit out of him. I don't know if he got an electrical shock aswell. It blew the 5A lighting fuse (I don't use namby pamby breakers).

Yes, 230V. Actually 256V in my house, despite me complaining (I live right next to the substation, I guess they have to crank it up so it gets to the far end of the street, maybe that's why you have a transformer per house over there). I use a UPS to drop the voltage to a sensible level for lights and computers.

UK was 250V, then 240V, then 230V. Bloody EU standardization. At this rate we'll have so much voltage drop in wires that nothing will work. They dropped the 15A plugs to 13A aswell.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Who?

[newsgroup line repaired]