Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

I should have read further.

Under the skin? Do you mean throught the needle? ROTFLOL.

They don't make tracking devices that small. Don't believe what the crackpots tell you.

Reply to
micky

Pet identfication chips (passive integrated transponders) are a bit less than 2mm in diameter, a 12 gauge hypodermic needle has a slightly larger ID. The "chjps" are about

11mm long (1/2").

Scott Lurndal

30% of a BBL of crude is used as chemical feedstocks and binders for aggregate (asphalt/macadam). Those, leaving aside any potential to contaminate soil or water, do not contribute to the CO2 in the atmosphere. It's the other 70% of the crude, refined into fuels, that when burned add CO2 to the atmosphere.

Using the limited remaining reserves of crude for the former instead of burning it up will allow the CO2 fraction in the atmosphere to start dropping and still provide the chemical feedstocks we need to feed 8 billion humans. Win-Win. Even the oil companies will still be profitable.

To be carbon neutral doesn't necessarily mean that the world cannot use oil; just not burn more than the natural carbon cycle can remove on short timescales (e.g annually). Likewise coal. Eventually, of course, both resources will be exhausted - there's no reason not to start the process of weaning off them now, and rapidly.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Grid management predicts loads and they have steam up and turbines spinning before the large increase in demand, with increased output from already producing station, pumped storage, gas turbine, diesel, etc. to fill rapid increases until other producers can be brought online.

Reply to
SteveW

I think that he is being sarcastic.

Reply to
SteveW

They also have fast startup load following plants ready and waiting.

Hydro is particularly attractive as a load-following plant as you just basically turn a valve and it starts generating.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Spinning reserve generation needs to be able to react to a contingency that represents the loss of the single largest generator - 850 megawatts for example - so I don't think that normal demand fluctuations are a big problem. John T.

Reply to
hubops

They should be required to provide the storage systems needed to compensate for their intermittency. At the moment, they get a free ride by being able to sell power when they can produce it, and not when they can't.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Either number is much bigger than the needles used for vaccinations.

Those are id chips and only work if you're standing right next to the machine that reads them. They don't do tracking. Alan is repeating nonsense. Don't encourage him.

Reply to
micky

Nope, falls over on vodka. Have a look at Yeltsin videos.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, he was being sarcastic.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I feed the birds and I also feed some cats of uncertain status. At times that devolves to feeding birds to the cats. I did rig a pulley system for the feeder after noting how far a fat cat can leap from the ground when motivated.

I should try Fritos. Black oil sunflower seeds make a hell of a mess. The cats get Meow Mix and I think the jays help themselves to that too.

Reply to
rbowman

A rabbit doesn't have much of a life expectancy here. Raccoons however... I was blaming the deer for destroying the bird feeder until I saw the coon tracks in the fresh snow one morning. The skunks sort of hibernate but without a doubt they'll be up and about soon to add to the mix.

Reply to
rbowman

That was the upstate NY dynamic. The paper would run photos of deer yarded up in the deep snow and starving so someone would organize a hay airlift. Next year, more deer yarded up and starving.

The same dynamic happens with human populations.

Reply to
rbowman

I've seen the film but missed the rom-com part I guess. Too focused on the birds to observe the humans.

Reply to
rbowman

I've watched a cat kill an unwary robin. Early bird got the worm, cat got the early bird. Shit happens.

I used to see flickers but I haven't seen them lately. While they are technically woodpeckers they prefer to feed on the ground. I don't know if the cats got them or if they moved to a cat free environment.

They provided me with hours of amusement. They're the klutzes of the bird family and the only bird I've seen that can fall out of a tree.

Reply to
rbowman

My neighbours cat ambushes birds coming to a bird feeder. As the birds fly in to perch it pounces jumping three feet in the air and catches them still in flight.

Pigeons feed on the ground under bird feeders and seem easy prey for cats although once the area is covered in feathers they become very wary about landing for a few days. This shows why the old country practice of protecting crops worked - killing crows and leaving the corpses in the field. Probably not too effective these days where kites and buzzards are no longer exterminated and have been re-introduced to areas. These birds will very quickly spot the dead crow and eat it.

Reply to
alan_m

Do you have a telephone?

Here in the UK BT (who came from the Post Office, which had a state monopoly) are gradually replacing copper with fibre because it is more reliable.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Please don't say things like that. There are people out there who will believe you.

Just as they believe we can have 100% of our power coming from wind.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That was my assumption. However...

On 19/03/2023 14:09, micky wrote: > Pointing things out doesn't work here. 🙁

would suggest not everyone agrees.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris