Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

I meant getting the ice to where you use it. I thought your idea was to use ice too cool homes?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed, the p is a hundredth of a pound. No not a lb (or # in Merkin), the thing which is worth more than a dollar.

That's a fancy power supply. It's got daughterboards! What's so special about it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

British Gas tried to get me to change to them. Some wanker came round my house and invited himself in. He promised me lower direct debit payments. I looked up the price per unit and asked him why it was more and what would happen since I wouldn't be paying enough. He got all flustered and left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm shortly going to be paying more standing charge than consumption. Paying money for using nothing? That's not right. Why not put all the money onto the unit cost?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

All because our governments are looking after the f****ng Ukraine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Exactly, there should be no taxpayers. Every man for themselves, it's the only fair way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If it's 0.1, there's 0.9 to use, duh.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

CO2 production is irrelevant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There is no cost once the wind turbine is up. But the coal power station keeps on eating coal.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No you're not. The generator simply needs to be powerful enough to handle the highest winds.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed, slwoing down the wind has gotta make a direct impact. Those greenies are so thick.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's what beer is for.

Reply to
Max Demian

You make the ice at home during cheap night time electricity. During hot and expensive day, blow warm outside air through the ice into your home.

You may also integrate existing air conditioning units with the ice tank, thus reduce the temperature difference the AC has to work against and hence save expensive daytime electricity.

Reply to
upsidedown

Here I have a much better solution. At night I open the windows and the concrete and masonry loses its heat and becomes a cool bank. By day I close the curtains and the windows and sit inside my cool masonry.

No electricity is involved at all

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's got gallium nitride power devices (for efficiency). Apparently one of the assemblies is "planar magnetics", which is uncommon in ATX supplies. Even though it uses toroids for the front end filter.

On modern supplies with double forward conversion, one of the daughterboards is a 12VDC to 3.3V/5V converter board. Older supplies used one "supply" for all outputs. Modern supplies are two stage. The daughterboard is the second stage, for the lower current rails.

You would need to read the review, to find out what the other daughterboards are for. Visual inspection does not suggest a function.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Turbines keep on eating blades. Where do the damaged blades wind up?

Reply to
rbowman

Turbines fail about every 3 months. Usually gearboxes or bearings. They are serviced by fossil fuelled helicopters boats and 4WD vehicles.

A typical nuclear reactor stays up for about a year between outages, or even longer.

Coal is free too. Just like the wind. But you have to dig it up and transport it. But at least it's stored energy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com writes

Break them up, and use them in the foundations of new nuclear power stations?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

They are balsa wood foam and fibreglass. 80% made from fossil fuel . Useless as foundations for anything. Better to burn them - get some energy back at least

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have never been sarcastic even once in my life.

They always should.

Reply to
John Larkin