Will pay someone to put #12 grommet in for me...

I have a fabric camera case I am going to use to house an XM satellite radio.

I actually need someone (for a reasonable fee) to take 2 of the cases I have and put 2 grommets in each case. I need the inside diameter of the grommet to be 1 3/4 - 2 inches. The OD total diameter needs to be < 3 inches. One grommet is on the flap of the case. The other needs to go inside the case. Therefore a hand kit or deep throated press (perhaps can accommodate 3 inches would work.

In looking at presses and such, it is too expensive for my one time need.

Sure I can find a kit for 1/2 inch grommet (#4) and have used such in past. But there is no inexpensive #12 type kit.

This is why perhaps it is better I just send someone the cases and pay a fee of perhaps $50

Thank you Patty NC

Reply to
pattyjamas

Your nearest tent and awning company should be able to help you out. That sounds about like the size I see used for the pole holes in the portable sun shades and such I see used at fairs and car dealer parking lot sales. If they don&#39;t make/repair their own stock, they can point you to who they use.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

It&#39;s a little hard to picture from your description what is needed. A grommet on the flap is easy. Inside the case - how far from an edge? Side or bottom?

I see grommet kits all the time at craft or fabric store but haven&#39;t used them or paid attention to the intended use. I know draperies with grommets are the rage - lots easier than sewing on stiffener and measuring for pleats :o)

Here is a link to site that sells grommets:

What kind of fabric? MUST you use grommets, or would a stitched finish around the openings work? Need large grommets to accomodate radio parts/knobs or to finish an opening that is ragged?

Reply to
Norminn

grommets:

Thanks all. The fabric is canvas like and has 3 layers to it. Think of knapsack material but with a cotton lining inside. Perhaps 1/32 in thickness. I need about a 1 3/4-2 inch hole that is stitched around it to so it is not ragged. I did some stitching myself and it did not look so great (by hand). Went to an alteration place who recommended I go to a shoe store. Went there and they could only cut hole in a square shape on the flap of the camera case. They could not cut hole in the case itself. Hole in case would be about 2 1/2 inches from opening. I wrote a few Awning/Tent places and await reply. Good idea.

A plastic grommet would not work in this. Needs rigidity and the plastic would not seal well on the camera case. The holes i want are just so that I can have finger access to a few buttons on my XM Radio.

Thanks Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

A sailmaker would likely be able to do this, also.

Reply to
Not