Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

re: "and are stashed away for safe keeping"

I assume they're hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar under Funk & Wagnalls' porch, right?

We wouldn't want them to be all dry rotted when you pull them out...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

:

um, I think they're in a cardboard box in my garage somewhere.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nice story.

I've lost count of how many times I've done emergency fixes to things "on the road" using boot laces...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Cadets at West Point are told to always carry a bit of string...

Reply to
HeyBub

Is that in case they have to drive a 72 Javelin from Cleveland to NYC with broken wipers?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Have you ever seen the wipers on high actually improve visibility?

All I've ever seen the high setting do is break the wipers. Threw the arm right off my old clunker Caddy, and totally thrashed the entire wiper mechanism on a friend's minivan.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Yes, in torrrential downpours, without a doubt.

Of course, I use Rain-X washer fluid in my van and rarely need my wipers at speeds above 40 - 50 MPH.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, it has always helped me. On my old work van an inch of ice frozen hard onto the roof melted and slid down the windshield at a stop sign. Both wipers were facing down across the hood pointing to the road. I went to a chevy dealer and took it apart so I could go right in if I needed anything. Luckily I was able to bend the linkage back to normal and didn't need any parts.

Reply to
Tony

I tried Rain-X about 20 years ago and hated it. It made the brand new wipers leave streaks. I scrubbed it off the windshield but it took some time, and maybe new wipers to get a clear windshield again.

Then at the time the new hot product was "Trianco" wiper blades. They were the worst wipers I ever had.

Reply to
Tony

As I said, I use the Rain-X washer fluid - not the straight Rain-X wipe-on product.

The only issue I experience is that on rare occasions, when the street lights or sun are at the right (wrong?) angle *and* I spray the windows with the fluid, I get a haze over the windshield for a second or so. A couple of extra swipes with the wipers clears it right up.

My wife found it a bit disconcerting at first, but once she realized that it only happens when conditions are "perfect" and that it only lasts for a second, she decided that the advantage of not using wipers on the highway outweighed the very rare occurrences of the haze.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maine oil change shops like to sell you new oil plugs. Especially Waterville Maine. Of course there is something wrong with yours.??

Reply to
LSMFT

Yes. They stripped it.

Reply to