Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin, or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber gets dry rot???

Reply to
Way Back Jack

I've seen ones on old vehicles that have stood for years where the rubber has gone dry and crumbly (same with things like door and window seals). It actually seems to get things left in the shade more than the sun, so maybe it's made worse by cold / moisture.

I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like fanbelts, hoses, etc.

Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never had one offer to replace wipers.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The fix is replace it. it's no different than replacing tires. Do you screw around with caster oil when your tires are shot?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Geez! According to him I am a little overdue with my OEM, 1996 Nissan, 150K mile ones. If they did not work I guess I would.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Oh man can I relate to that!... I go for an oil change at the dealership and they ask what the mileage is...I give it to them and they say "your truck needs this, this, this and this" ...I say to the kid behind the computer "My truck is sitting outside and your telling me what I need and you haven't even looked at it" (he's going by the odometer reading of vehicle and according to the computer all these very important issues need to be done which I think a lot of it is a money grab) soooooooo after SEVERAL twelve hundred dollar oil changes from that place I started going to a 'jobber" place and get it done there.

Reply to
Jim

Replace them when they don't work well, otherwise, develop deafness to what is recommended. This isn't rocket science!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Jaysus! ....did they ever see you coming. :\

nb

Reply to
notbob

Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that isn't always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass through my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good donor parts handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.

I don't know if the rubber goes bad because it just dries - or if there's a deteriation due to chemical reaction at work, so the oil just gives the appearance of a fix.

I don't know if it affects *modern* parts, either - or if the problem's irrelevant these days, but garages still use it as a way of boosting sales.

Caster oil is what you use when your casters are seized and you want to move a vehicle with shot tires ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Mine get replaced once per year, in the Fall. I replace them myself, as is I perform all of my vehicle maintenance myself.

I replace them because after a year, they are noticeably less effective at clearing my windshield.

My life is worth more than the cost of a yearly replacement of wiper blades.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I think you can buy the rubber separately. Don't know how hard it would be to make it fit.

Fuck it. Take a modern blade and tie wrap it to the old arm. Maybe a little duct tape.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

When they charge $19.99 per wiper for 2 minutes of work, and you can two replacements at walmart for the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years

The rubber does lose flexibility over time. If left long enough, yeah it will dry rot.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Yes, they do age. Them may not totally fail but older blades don't clear the window properly.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Yeah, to be honest I suspect you're right for wipers. In fact, I think I did that for one vintage vehicle I had (or rather spare blades were just sold as rubber strips and the rigid parts were retained each time - but perhaps the profile's different for different cars, so they're not 100% interchangeable)

Baling wire all the way... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yeh; and it makes the windshield so clear to see thru too!! lol

Reply to
Twayne

Yes, they make good profit. Yes, they do deteriorate over time from UV light and heat. OTOH it is good to replace them after a year or two depending on use. If the rubber breaks off it is possible to scratch the windshield. At four years, I'd definitely change them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some auto repair shops will replace the entire car if they can get away with it.

A local Saturn Dealer started advertising $19.95 oil changes a few years ago which was a pretty good deal. I figure a certain amount of "sale building" was excusable.

HOWEVER....after a year or so it started getting out of hand, sexist and discriminatory. I seldom had them mention any more than wiper blades or belts. But I saw them work on women, especially older women with tires, brakes, plugs, etc and get away with it.

They only tried it to my wife once! The tech came out to the crowded waiting room declaring the brakes were worn and dangerous. She informed him LOUDLY...."That's odd. Our Mechanic did a FULL BRAKE JOB ON THE CAR LAST WEEEEEEK!

Got quiet. We quit using them.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I'm sure profit enters into the equation. But a more compelling argument is a subsequent accident involving rainy weather.

"I had my car in the shop. They didn't tell me the wipers were bad. It's all their fault granny is dead. I want compensation for pain and suffering and loss of consortium. And throw in some punative damages too."

Reply to
HeyBub

Unlike most parts, one can tell by looking when wipers need replacing. It's right before your very eyes!

I'm sure they get brittle becasue of age alone. And 4 years is a long time, but if they are wiping the water off nicely, that's all that matters.

Reply to
mm

Priceless!

Reply to