Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

If you're going to throw bathwater all over your garden, you might aswell just go outside and hose yourself down, then your neighbour can have some fun watching.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There is some suggestion on certain web sites that it is to increase flow rate.

Reply to
ARW

How would that happen?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In this country (Aus) the sullage and the sewerage are kept separate. The sullage lines go out into the street stormwater drains. They are

*not allowed* to be connected to the sewerage lines. The sewerage lines, using separate pipes, are plumbed into the sewerage system. If the sullage were connected to the sewerage, the sewerage treatment plants get flooded bigtime because when it rains here it really pisses down.

I suppose we use what you would call a two pipe system. There is talk here of introducing a new third pipe for greywater. That is, water that comes from baths, sinks, showers, etc. as opposed to sewerage from toilets. Difficult to retrofit of course but new estates are likely to be plumbed this way in the near future.

Reply to
Xeno

Ditto - as I explained in another post.

Reply to
Xeno

What??? You already have a *sullage system*. It's more commonly known as a *storm water system*. The street drains feed into it and that's where household sullage lines should also feed into. The sewerage is and always should be separate (note spelling).

How to win friends and influence people.

Reply to
Xeno

Why not? It's grey water so will not harm the *garden*.

Reply to
Xeno

Yeah, like communal baths in a tenement. They are welcome to it and explains why having baths are a *treat* over there.

Reply to
Xeno

The air break will assist in that.

Reply to
Xeno

Specially when the entire island is so soggy already.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When did two pipe systems start being used? Because I was surprised to see sinks sharing a pipe with rainwater on a building which I don't think is all that old. Hopefully it goes into the sewer and not the rainwater drain.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't most people do a shit a day?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

alt.home.repair is in America you fool, it's sent to two newsgroups.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And somebody checks this regularly do they? Same "rule" applies in the UK, but I sometimes ignore it if the wrong pipe is closer to connect to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It isn't on older houses. I don't know when they introduced storm drains as being seperate. I agree it would be strange if they had those but connected the houses just to the sewer.

Contrarywise, it is in fact Clare who is not allowing UK folk to see her replies, which is rude.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you make your bathwater grey, you ought to see a doctor about your skin complaint.

And it will annoy the person it lands on.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hey I actually watered the garden today, hasn't rained for a fortnight.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What have you got against sharing baths? Are you really ugly when naked?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Here the roof drains don't even connect to the storm drain. They spill out onto the lawn where hopefully most of it soaks in before it runs out onto the street and into the storm drains.

Reply to
Clare Snyder