Losing a leg

Nick Cordero had his leg amputated last night, from a complication of covid-19.

For those of you who aren't worried about dying, or your friends dying, maybe you'll be more afraid of losing a leg.

Reply to
micky

I don't know. It sounded like he was a tv actor.

It's not but He's the only one I know of who lost a leg.

If we could have avoided those wars, we should have. People in charge believed they could not be avoided.

We can avoid covid-19 with the right actions, so losing future legs from it is avoidable.

Isn't this obvious?

Reply to
micky

Obscure Canadian Broadway actor. What is interesting about his case is he was already in the ICU for pneumonia like symptoms having tested negative for COVID twice. A third test was finally positive.

Reply to
rbowman

micky was thinking very hard :

Probably had no insurance, did they mention his arm?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Some people have tested positive for both the seasonal flu and SARS-CoV-2.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Not only do you/we not have adequate numbers of tests, but they are notoriously in-accurate. Way too many false negs - and possibly as many false positives??? No way to know at the moment.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not at all out of the realm of possibility.I remember kids having measles and mumps at the same time, and measles and checkenpox, back when I was a kid. That combination threw the doctors for a bit of a loop as they had no idea what they were dealing with. It was an atypical presentation, to say the least.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

True. The timeline is hazy. He was first hospitalized in late March. It's not clear when he tested positive. The incubation period is as vague as everything else, 2 to 14 days. Having severe pneumonia would put him at risk; was the COVID a door prize at the hospital?

Turns out I do know who he is. The Broadway references didn't do anything for me but he had a role as a car thief that enjoyed taunting Danny in 'Blue Bloods'.

Reply to
rbowman

That's the problem with the 'we've got to test everybody' plan. What good is that if the test is a coin flip? It's like the PSA. My doctor said she'd order it if I really wanted it but there were a lot of false positives that scared people. Otherwise I could drop trou and we'd do it the old way.

Reply to
rbowman

It sounds like he got hit with everything. He was progressing and then a new lung infection dropped his blood pressure and caused an irregular heartbeat. Then he lost pulse and had to be resuscitated. He was placed on a dialysis machine and an ECMO machine. A cannula from the ECMO cut off the blood flow to his right leg.

Reply to
rbowman

My doc advised one PSA at 50 as a "baseline" so if there were issues / questions a second PSA would have some relavence. She said the jury's out on the effectiveness of PSA testing because so many things can cause a raised PSA.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He is in Cedars-Sinai so it's not like it's the Hooterville Hospital and Veterinary Clinic.

Reply to
rbowman

If you keep scaring America's snowflakes like that they'll never crawl out from under their beds.

Reply to
Fearmonger

That's another thing that has gotten little coverage. Trump has refused to re-open Obamacare enrollment so that people could obtain insurance during this crisis. That again shows what an immoral, nasty, rotten SOB he truly is. God forbid that some responsible people could buy insurance, paying for part of it themselves, so they are covered. Better that they get sick, don't seek treatment because they have no insurance and die. Or wind up in the hospital with no insurance and then as Fretwell likes to point out, the govt will pick up most of the bills out of the $2.2 tril relief funding. Nothing like standing on Republican principles or should I say graves.

Reply to
trader_4

Extreme low-effort troll.

Reply to
Neill Massello

BTW, I never said Nick's situaation was more important than anyone else's limb. (I don't know why muggles raised the topic, below.) I said what the reason for my post was, above.

If I were about to be drafted into or enlist in the army, I can easily imagine not being afraid to die, but if I thought about losing a leg, or an arm, that would be more frightening than dying.

Reply to
micky