Why can't I find a polarized replacement plug.

Yeah. But in the real world there are lots of cannisters, almost all of which have retractable cords, and lots of uprights, many of which have retractable cords.

Face it, they aren't rare. You're just wrong.

Reply to
TimR

Just as a data point, I've never even seen a retractable cord on a vacuum. The old Electrolux didn't have it, nor have the many uprights we've had. Maybe we just don't go for "high end" vacuums.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Fact...you don't give-up even with data. I'm done with you...

Reply to
bob_villa

That may or may not be true.

You may have just seen vacuums where the retractable cord mechanism had broken and just stayed out.

Certainly Electrolux has models that retract.

Here's a badly shot youtube of repairing an Electrolux, and there are dozens more youtube videos of retractable cord repair:

I'll grant you that the older uprights usually did not have them. But the Hoover cannister we owned in 1960 did.

Did you like your Electrolux? My favorite so far has been the bagless Bosch, but it was 220V so we couldn't bring it back from overseas with us.

Reply to
TimR

Well, the Electrolux was unwieldy, with skids. But I didn't use it. My mother did the vacuuming. What little experience I have with it says it sucked.....just fine. Only canister vacuum that's been used where I've lived. We've been using a Bissel Powerforce Bagless for about 5 years. Doesn't eat belts like what we had before. Think it cost $49.99. After we tried it out I bought another one and put it in the garage rafters. Good price, and it's a good vacuum for us. It's still there, in its box. I'm set for life.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You bought TWO? OMG. You must be a LOT younger than me. I'm at the point where I only fill the gas tank halfway.

(and I have to run to the store often - I never buy more than a quart of milk at a time, and green bananas haven't been on the list for some years now)

Reply to
TimR

That's what I was thinking of. I use extension cords in many many places.

I'll have to check what I've got, to see where I got that idea.

Reply to
micky

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

So that's what add-on means. That means Priime is not as good as one might think. I'm not going to pay a yearly fee for something I might not use even once. I used to buy a lot from Amazon, bur for one reason or another, it's been 6 months and it might be a year more. I had about 25 things in the Pending list, partly to bring me up to 25 dollars when needed, or 35, and when I went through them after a year, either they didn't sell them anymore or I didn't want them or both.

Absolutely it's fair, and like you say, we were supposed to have paid it anyhow.

Incuding me.

That's sort of like a drug-dealer gving the first couple grams for free. Unless you can keep your kid in college for 50 years.

Reply to
micky

A canaster Elecrtolux we bought about 30 years ago had the retracting cord.

I just wish that we could have found an upright that has a bag for it. Looked around several local stores and all they have are bagless. I hate those, but did not have much choice.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

FWLIW, I only go for junk vacuums, whatever I find in the trash, almost all of which are fine when the stringy clog is removed, and I've seen a retractable cord. I don't remember on what.

Reply to
micky

You must be a young'un.Kenmore vacuums were not "high end" and the vast majority of them had retractable cords. Most of the old "torpedos" didn't and very few uprights - but the squat canisters almost all did. Hoover built retractable uprights -= and in fact still do.. And at $129 it is NOT a high end machine. Eureka's AirSpeed is not that expensive either at $129-$159 - and has a retractable cord. So does the Panasonic JetForce ($250) and JetTurn ($166)

In canisters, the Bissel Cyclonic, ($140), and Hoover WindTunnel ($180), The Kenmore Elites, and Progressives ($350) ,the Koblentz Commercials ($149), - just for starters in CURRENTLY AVAILABLE units.

Reply to
clare

You should not be using 2 wire extention cords for anything other than lights -

Reply to
clare

You gotta be kidding. $50 is plenty to pay for a vacuum cleaner. Beyond that is "high end" to me.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hi, Ever compared high end one and 50.00 one side by side? I'm with built-in one. They came a long way and many features and options. I have a wet and dry shop vac. in addition.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nope. As long as it has a driven brush and good suction and is reliable it works for me. Don't need headlights and a horn on it. I don't have wall-to-wall carpets. Just area rugs and runners on hardwood floors. My $50 vacuum cleaner works well. But since it cleans 8x5 carpets just fine, I suspect it would clean 30x40's as well. Just have to empty it more often. Why spend money for nothing? I've got a wet/dry shop vac too.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I learned to stop buying those cheap vacuums and buy only commercial machines. Metal beater bar, steel foot release, steel bottom plate, 50' cord. Generally $200-250 and not available at department stores. You either get it at a vacuum store or a place like the Costco Business Center (not regular Costco).

Reply to
sms

Thanks for your concern. Maybe not, but I do.

Reply to
micky

Hmm, If you ever have a chance to compared them side by side on your rug, say use your 50.00 one first and then go over the rug again with high end one and see. There is a noticeable difference. I have pets in the house. Years ago when built in ones start showing up, I called a salesman for a demo in my house. I just vacuumed whole house using name brand canister one. When the demo unit went over the living room carpet again, I couldn't believe what it picked up. Since then I always have built-in one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Right, as long as every one knows what (s)he is doing with anything like you do. Most Christmas light strings come with 2 prong plugs polarized now.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We've had the Beam built-in for almost 30 years and I have a 7 gallon shop-vac in the garage as well as a Bissel wet/vac/carpet cleaner. A Sputnik and a Kirby at the office,

Reply to
clare