Polarized plug -does the wide blade equal the white or the black wire?

On a polarized electrical plug (male) does the wide blade equal the white or the black wire?

Reply to
Bubba

The wide blade is the neutral and the narrow one is the hot.

Reply to
badgolferman

big large slot for the least dangerous common white circuit. smaller black HOT circuit. this puts the safer white-light-silver screw to the outside contact of lamp socket. the more dangerous black-dark-brass screw of the socket goes to the center terminal of the bulb socket. this reduces the shock hazard of the metal lamp getting hot shock from accidentally touching the bulb socket metal shell. always pretest the wires continuity on your lamp cord using an inexpensive multimeter. and check the outlet for hot small slot and common wide slot. otherwise the safety of the polarized plug is reversed and defeated.

Reply to
buffalobill

I have a new circuit in my basement, when I turn the lights on in my kitchen they go off shortly thereafter (only since I turned on a plug circuit in the basement? )anyone have any Idea?

When I turn that basement plug circuit off everything works fine.

Reply to
avongugg