Whitewash, pickling, or antique wax effect for kitchen cupboards?

I've noticed that some of the new kitchen cupboards are coming in a semi transparent finishes, withm a darker wood grain showing through. I'd like to duplicate the look in white, as a DIY project. What's the best method for a good first time attempt? Minwax makes a whitewash pickling product, is there any other manufactures making a simular product? How about using antique wax? Is there a web site that gives clear instructions on how to create the look I'm after?

Thanks,

Steve

I do it on fresh soft wood, like pine, by wiping off white latex paint thinned about 50% across the wood. Just use the paint like a stain. Top coat with water based poly. If the wood is harder, you might want to use oil paint to get a little more "stick".

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I used the Minwax stuff on tongue and groove siding for a real country rustic look on a porch ceiling. It worked well, but if you're using wood with knots the nots burn through very quickly (there are many ways to prevent that, shellac first, etc.), which isn't bad cause it's part of the look I wanted.

On hard woods, I bet it would look even better.

I simply poly'd over it after two coats.

Reply to
BKS