Re: Pickling

I realise this isn't technically to do with growing, but thought someone

>might be able to help out. My cornichons (gherkins) are approaching full >size, and now I need to think about pickling them. I was wondering if anyone >had any good recipes/techniques for pickling, as the web doesn't really seem >very helpful on this front. > >Thanks in advance.

I suggest you ask over on rec.food.preserving - a very good newsgroup, helpful and friendly.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Where, among other responses, you will be told to go to

and enter "pickles+canning" as the search term because that will net you ~17,400 sites covering the topic of canning pickles.

Might as well go over there now. BTW ... I've been canning my fool head off the past few weeks using recipes I came up with online. I doubt if I will be able to get to even 1% of the totally unique recipes I found, let alone trying any of the minor, but interesting, variations.

Pat and I (and some of the others) also post over on that newsgroup but since there is a newsgroup covering that topic area, talk about the preservation part of gardening over there. This newsgroup is more focused on the growing part.

Bill

Reply to
Noydb
  • Exported from MasterCook *

EASY DILL PICKLES

Recipe By : Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Vegetables

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 4 ea Dzn. Pickling Cucumbers * 1 ea Bunch Dill 1 qt Cider Vinegar 8 c Water 1 c Pickling Salt 1 x Cloves Gralic, Peeled

  • Pickling cucumbers are cucumbers that are not less than 3-inches long and not more than 4-inches long. ~------------------------------------------------------ ~----------------- Wash the cucumbers and remove any stems. Cover with cold water and refrigerate overnight or for several hours. Pack the cucumbers into pint jars as tightly as possible. Poke in 2 springs of dill. Bring the cider vinegar, water, salt and garlic cloves (12 to 16 cloves depending on your taste) to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Fish out the garlic cloves with a slotted spoon and put one in each jar (or to taste) while the brine cools slightly. Pour the hot brine into the jars and seal. Makes 12 Pints.

Reply to
Sabrina