White dust corrosion on steel?

Hi,

A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986 Craftsman table saw.

Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.

The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Im trying to remember but I think they may have had some die cast parts. My father in law had a shop full of old Craftsman power toolsf. I got a couple of pieces but he sold his band saw and joiner.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Aluminum oxide?

Reply to
HeyBub

Zinc oxide, maybe, but I wouldn't expect zinc on a band saw except - maybe - on smallish, cheaply made, cast parts.

Reply to
dadiOH

That would be my first guess...

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

... The most obvious would be the thing is Al instead of steel...the second obvious question would be "is it (the body, not the corrosion product) magnetic?"

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree. The reason aluminum is a decent outdoor material is that it quickly coats itself with a protective layer of aluminum oxide.

Reply to
Phisherman

Easy enough to shrink the corral. Will a magnet stick to it (the table top, not the white powder).

Reply to
HeyBub

Galvanized?

Reply to