Stabil

I notice Stabil is now marketing a blend primarily for marine engines. I thought it was a gas treatment and I never saw gas differentiated between land and marine useage. Whats up?

Red

Reply to
Red

The gas sold at marinas is supposed to be formulated for marine use with more detergents and water dispersants. Much more costly than regular gas. Marine engines can suck down much more fuel per hour than the family sedan also, so additive packages differ. 15 to 25 gallon an hour in not uncommon. My guess is the Stabil marine version is formulated to work better with the different additives.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The "more costly" part I agree with..other than that, I suspect they are selling "regular gas" at most marinas, other than the ones selling "hi test"

91 Octane. I get my boat filled at a local cardlock station where I get UNL87 w/o the Highway tax (48 cents a gallon less)..otherwise known as "Marked gas". Marinas should also be selling gas for less due to the lack of Highway taxes.
Reply to
Rudy

Many fuel docks have always had specially formulated gasoline for marine use. The brand name Valvtect springs to mind. The new marine Stabil is considerably different than the original version. Far more anti-corrosion ingredients to help overcome problems caused by alcohol in the gasoline. So much more, that the recommended dose of the marine Stabil is half as much as the original. As always, you can add more than the directions indicate without any harm, and it will preserve the gas better and longer. I use the new Marine stuff, but at the old doseage.

Reply to
salty

Marinas have a long and valid list of issues that a land based gas station doesn't have. They are located on VERY expensive property with humongous property taxes. The environmental issues with storing gas that close to water and dispensing it from a dock are unbelievable. As are the risks if there is an accident. Then, the marina has to make almost it's entire annual income in the span of the boating season. No matter how busy a fuel dock may seem, it will never sell as much fuel as a well positioned land gas station.

Most Fuel docks do NOT sell regular automotive gasoline.

Reply to
salty