Just for information.
My son found an old animal skull (fox?) in the woods and wanted to
clean it up. So he mixed up some bleach and water in a plastic bucket
and left it in the garage (my shop). It's a 3 car garage not a small
one car type. A few days later he takes out the skull all nice and
white and leaves the bucket with the bleach. All of this is without
my knowledge but I probably would not cared anyway. I go away for 2
weeks and come back to find RUST on my jointer, my band saw, my brand
new saber saw etc. I look around and anything within 10 feet of the
bucket has some rust and the closer it is the more rust. Needless to
say no more bleach in my shop.
Don't recall seeing this info posted before so I thought I would
mention it especially knowing some of you wreckers work in basements
and may be close to laundry areas.
Everyone just calls me Bob.
Bleach = chlorine. Chlorine is an oxidizer. Oxygen and steel don't get
along very well at all.
Good advice. I might have found some occasion to do the same thing, but
next time I'll think about it first!
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < firstname.lastname@example.org>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
About 4 years ago I was in an all law enforcement band. One of the guys was
a friend of Mickey Gilley and asked if we could borrow some stage equipment
(we were opening for Leanne Rimes) and wanted a good showing. We went out
to Mickey's house in Pasadena, Texas and he had a huge warehouse in his
"back yard." We got some speakers, a few monitors, and I picked out a great
looking Yamaha Baby Grand electric piano. We got everything back to my
studio - set up for a rehearsal and the piano didn't work. I opened the
back and it was totally coated with blueish white corrosion. The pool guy
got caught in the rain and left a 5 gallon bucket of pool shock inside the
door of the area that housed the keyboards. 19 of them ruined. I called
Mickey and he said - "Aw hell - just keep it and come get yerself another
one. I've got another room full of them."
The chlorine gases are fast and furious - especially on brass items.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.