whirlpool gas dryer; weird noise then stops

Have an old whirlpool gas dryer that I bought used a while back. It's worked great for a while now. Last week when i started it, i heard a strange groaning/humming noise and the dryer began to turn and after a couple of revolutions it stopped. I could not restart it, checked the outlet, nothing. The next day my wife tried it and it worked so we thought it was a one time thing. Now it's doing it again and it hasn't worked for 2 days. Any ideas?

-Kevin

Reply to
kevincw01

forgot to mention that after it does this, i smell a faint burning smell for 30 seconds.

Reply to
kevincw01

Hi, Drum motor. Starting cap?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you can turn the drum without too much effort then the motor is gone.

Reply to
Ed

i can't turn the drum from the inside without _alot_ of effort and even then it doesnt budge much. But if I pop the top off the dryer and turn it that way, it's fairly easy.

Reply to
kevincw01