Had a couple of roof leaks. Patched them.
Insulation (blown) shows some black colored mold (?) where it got wet.
Is this important? Do I need to find every piece of insulation that has a
black spot on it and remove it, or is this most likely a non issue?
I would consider it a non issue. If it stays dry, the mold will be
inhibited in any case. If you want to ease your mind, you could spray
it down with something like Consan Triple Action 20 in water, or even
Lysol in water. The first is a blend of quaternary ammonium compounds
which are pretty general germicides. The second is a phenolic
which also is effective as a disinfectant.
There is black mold and there is black mold. Some of it is harmless
and some if harmful. Without testing it there is no way to be sure what you
If you have someone in your household that may have health issues that
would make them sensitive to molds or infections, I would suggest a very
careful complete elimination of any evidence of mold. You may want to check
your home insurance as it may cover any expense.
On the other hand, mold in very small but measurable quantities is going
to be found in any home and outside. My friend had some serious water
damage and lots of mold. After the initial removal, they tested the air.
It came up positive. Then they retested it and tested the exterior air at
the same time and found that there was no meaningful difference. They live
in an area with lots of trees and a river close by. There is going to be
mold at every reading. The insurance company did order an additional sweep
to clean out any remaining evidence of mold however.
If your attic is properly vented no air should come back inside your
living space. The mold will die and mold is everywhere, if you are still
worried get a garden sprayer and spray the mold with bleach, bleach
I'd guess that the quantity and duration of the leaks would determin
how to deal with the insulation.
I might first take a handful of insulation and drip water on it to see
if the color change is just a color chane. Then bleach spray would work
on small superficial mold spots.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.