Whirlpool bathtubs

My project for the winter is to renovate my bathroom, and I was planning on installing a whirlpool bathrub. Lately I have been hearing some negative comments from people about them.For example one person told me their whirlpool bath pump made a very loud distracting noise.Another person told me their air jet tub blew cold air and the water quickly lost its heat.I don't want to install a white elephant that doesnt get used, and would like to hear comments from people about their experiences with them--and if they would recommend them. Thanks

Reply to
brent

I think noise depends on the brand and model. Get one with a built-in heater to maintain the water temperature. Also you may need to install a bigger water heater tank to fill it depending on the size tub. There has also been an issue with bacteria growing in the pipes because of stagnant water left behind after the tub is drained. I think one manufacturer addresses that issue, but I can't remember the name; Something like sanitub or sanijet. They have a web site.

From own experiences with my customers that I have wired and gone back months or years later for other things: The novelty wears off and they don't get used that much. Personally I would get a portable hot tub outside on the patio or deck. I think that would get used more often, but they do require daily maintenance.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I have one in my master bath. I also have a spa outside. I use the spa, but never use the whirlpool. IIMO, the spa is much roomier, comfortable and far more practical. It uses more energy, but that also depends on how frequently you use the whirpool, which takes a lot of hot water to fill and then dumps it. (Make sure you have the water heater capacity to go with it. On new construction it's not unusual to see 2 water heaters in homes that have a whirpool tub, though depending on other loads, you're probably OK with one large one.)

On the other hand, a whirpool tub adds value on resale because lots of people think they are cool, probably because they over estimate how useful they are, how often they will use it, etc.

Reply to
trader4

At a time when we are being exhorted to use CF bulbs throughout the house and buy energy saving appliances, you&#39;re going to waste precious resources on a whirlpool tub? Oh well, maybe that&#39;s the American way...>sigh<

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have one as well. I have used it maybe 10 or so times in the past 4 years. It is a little bit more work to clean than a regular tub but it is not as hard to clean as I originally thought it would be. I have not noticed water getting cold quickly but I don&#39;t have the patience to sit in the tub for more than 15-20 minutes. If I don&#39;t use it for some time, black pieces come out of it first time I use it. Overall I like having it. If I remodeled again, I&#39;d put the same thing.

If you or someone in your family uses a regular bathtub often, it is probably worth getting it. But if you rarely use a tub you are unlikely to start using a whirlpool just for the whirlpool. The pump is supposed to be quiet but I do find it annoying. The water makes noise too. I have a Kohler. You can get same tub with or without the whirlpool. Finally if we are talking about a regular bathtub, I would recommend you a little bigger tub (whirlpool or not) than standard assuming your bathroom is big enough to hold it. You are supposed to have 15" clear space on each side of toilet (this is most places in US). Mine is 32Wx20H. Standard is something like

29Wx15H although not sure.

I agree with other poster who said that your home is going to be more attractive to buyers if it has a whirlpool. I also agree that this is because they overestimate what it will be worth to them.

Mihaela

Reply to
Mihaela

just plan on a big hugger water heater or two. gas heater size say 100 gallons commercial type unit. if you use electric for water heating you might have to upgrade your electric service to 200 or even 400 amp have enough water heating capacity.

no one I know uses their tub much, some have a plywood cover with cloth over the wood to save cleaning time, they get dusty even when not used

Reply to
hallerb

How is someone having a whirpool tub that they use ocasionally any worse than someone driving the kids to an amusement park or the beach? Or a family getting on a plane and using energy to go on a vacation trip?

The people that want to go around making random judgement calls on nits never cease to amaze me.

Reply to
trader4

We were complimented by the builder of our house for _not_ purchasing a jetted tub. They said it&#39;s one of those options that adds a large amount to the price but rarely gets used. Far better to buy one of those portable jet units that hangs over the tub wall...

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Yes, plus the filter must run 24/7, running up the electric bill. Not by much, but by enough that if you&#39;re not using the spa at least weekly, you should consider whether it&#39;s worth the energy use/waste.

Reply to
KLS

As long as there are people in the world that are homeless and starving, we&#39;re not allowed to have any fun, eat steak or drive a car better than a Plymouth Reliant. Have you no shame?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why do you need more electric service? The take the same amount of water that a regular tub uses, it just pumps it while you bathe. Why would you cover your bathtub, whirlpool or not? Are you confusing this with a hot tub or spa?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No,it gets drained after each use. Do you use the same water in your bathtub? He&#39;s not talking hot tub or spa, this is a bathtub.

I still prefer a shower.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"brent" < wrote

The second one is true. The first, variable.

We had one in a japanese apartment. We rarely used the function as it blew cold air (or rather, air from the bathroom which is colder than the water). Due to it&#39;s design, it didnt have the problem of water trapped inside.

What we did actually like and use, was an external unit that you put over the lip of the tub which creates it&#39;s whirlpool by jetting the water inside the tub around. It&#39;s not as much &#39;force&#39; as a true whirlpool, but we liked it and wore it out eventually. It was &#39;no muss, no fuss&#39; stuff. Knowing what I do now, I would actively avoid buying a house with a built in tub whrlpool. If I saw a side unit propped over the lip though, I&#39;d be grinning and asking if it could stay with the house.

Reply to
Cshenk

many friends with those tubs added to existing homes have undersized water heaters and thus they cant fill the tub with enough hot water to use.

since these tubs are generally larger than regular tubs and hold more water a larger higher capacity water heater is essential.

if your heating by gas a 100 gallon commercial one will likely do the job.

the trouble with electric is look at the power needed to run one, say a 100 gallon high capacity.

this issue can require a service upgrade which can be very expensive. if your using electric to heat water you probably dont have gas.

so combine heating demands with regular home demands and add a large power hungry hot water tank.

Reply to
hallerb

Completely wrong. My spa runs the filter for 1 hour every 12 hours. It also runs whenever the temp falls below what I set it to maintain. The amount of maintenance a spa requires is miniscule. I add a small amount of sanitizer after each use, (not daily) and check the water with a simple test strip about once every 3 weeks to check overall water quality. It rarely needs much adjustment, and if it does, that&#39;s not a big deal, either.

I drain, wipe down and refill the tub about every 3 or 4 months. Draining takes about 45 minutes, filling takes about 30 minutes. Most of that I don&#39;t need to be there. Not much actual "labor" involved.

Brushing your teeth before you go to bed each night is at least as much work, or maybe more.

Electricity averages out to about $25 a month over a year. I&#39;m in New England.

The rewards are more than worth it. Laying out in 102-103 degree water under a starry winter night with a little snow drifting down is simply awesome.

Reply to
salty

Ed, you cut out too much: he was suggest>[cut] Personally I would get a portable hot tub outside on

These things don&#39;t get drained after each use. OK? Enjoy your shower.

Reply to
KLS

You&#39;re right that the rewards are simply awesome; in fact, I&#39;ll be going out to mine after dinner, where the outside temp is 18F and there&#39;s snow on the ground. My point about running the filter though was that for mine, I run it for 4 hours 2x a day, otherwise the chemistry gets out of whack because of the number of people using it.

Reply to
KLS

everyone i talk to about having a whirlpool tub, discourages it. they say they never use them!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Look at Sanijet models if you don&#39;t want mold in pipes. Internet sales only.

Reply to
Art