installing tin backspash

I am going to insall a tin backsplash.. It looks easy enough.. cut the tin sheets to size...

However, the kitchen walls are textured.. I don't know what it is-- whether a textured spray or stucco job.. It is kinda subtle in texture, but enough to feel bumpy when I run my hand over it. Luckily, the texture ends about a foot into the space between the counter and the cabinets, so I got alot of smooth wall.

I am guessing I will need to sand this half foot area down, correct? would a hand sander be highly recommended?

also, right above the stove is a slight bulge in the wall from a quick patch job done awhile ago.. it is not noticible too much by sight, just feel.. Is this bulge going to hinder in installing the back splash? or, with the liquid nails and nailing of the tin sheets, the tin back splash will be sufficently held in place..?

Reply to
Chris

I guess we would have to know what you mean by tin. To my limited knowledge, you won't be able to buy tin by the sheet.

I'm guessing you mean steel sheet iron, probably galvanized. I am not here to question your choice of material, though the thought does cross my mind. Stainless steel, aluminum sheet, brass, copper, FRP, or paint-grip galvanized might be more appropriate.

Any one of these materials come in different gauges or decimal designations. A fairly light weight thin sheet would be 29 gauge. Unless you are talking about a material designated a foil which I don't think you can buy as a sheet, any gauge material will more than cover up any wall texture. The big issue, I think, will be how you intend to install the sheeting. I don't have a recommendation unless I know what material you intend to use. Be aware that metal has a much greater shrink/grow factor due to heat and cold and can be problematic to glue. I can't see any reason to sand or remove the texture.

Reply to
DanG

Apparently the people that make tin ceilings also make tin backsplashes. Usually make out of aluminum. I think these would go over texture without any problem.

Reply to
Pat

Ken

Why? Has homeland security declared it a terrorist weapon? Try here:

don't think that he really wants tin, or if he does, he doesn't want this purity.

Reply to
M Q

You should go with 20-22 ga stainless unless you really have a hard on for this tin (aluminum). I would sand it smooth in either case. I have the whole corner between the cook top and sink, counter surface up to the uppers in 20ga stainless with a removable 25x25 maple work surface. It makes keeping the whole area clean very easy. I don't mind the "commercial" look.

Reply to
gfretwell