Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

All the physics contradicts your opinions

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I've driven FWD cars with chains for decades. Good quality, correctly installed chains do not break. Incorrectly installed they will break and cause a lot of damage to the axle and CV joint.

Chains are often legally required in western states when it's snowing or icy. Occasionally, but not often, it's chains required for all vehicles (R3), even 4WD with snow tires--I've experienced that twice, once on Mount Hood, and once in Yosemite, and since I had chains for my 4WD vehicle I was okay, but many people were stranded, believing that they would never have to put on chains. R3 is very rare on major roads, they'll close the road rather than institute R3.

R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.

R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.

R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.

The California Highway Patrol will often institute chain controls even when such controls are not technically necessary, but they do it in order to slow people down in bad weather.

Reply to
sms

He who is Clare Snyder said on Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:02:30 -0500:

Let's not argue. There's nothing to be gained.

You think FWD handles better than RWD. Fine.

So be it. Far be it for me to convince you otherwise.

Be happy with FWD. I'm happy with RWD.

That should be enough for both of us.

Reply to
harry newton

He who is trader_4 said on Thu, 7 Dec 2017 18:42:12 -0800 (PST):

If you're trying to imply that FWD has better "handling" in all conditions

*other* than when crawling along in deep snow, then we're just done.
Reply to
harry newton

For 18-wheelers the CHP insists you hang every chain you have when a set of single rails would get you where you're going.

Reply to
rbowman

Not at all. I'm just replying to your claim that FWD only offers better traction when snow is 6"+ deep. Because of the increased weight on the drive wheels, FWD had better traction in all conditions. I agree that RWD offers some handling benefits. It's the reason some performance oriented manufacturers, eg MB, BMW, stuck with it instead of moving to FWD when most of the other manufacturers did. It's like I said earlier and I think Clare said similar, that the vast majority of drivers in everyday conditions won't notice it, make use of it, etc. I see it easily, comparing my MB that spins the rear wheels easily on any slick surface, vs FWD cars that hold traction. If you want to push the limits of handling, on a track, the MB cars would do better. In everyday driving though, people don't see it.

Reply to
trader_4

Herein the "flatlands" chains are seldom required, particularlyu with good snow tires. Used to runsniows ion the military tires on the old powerwagon - useless in snow without them andtop speed of about 45MPH anyway - - .

Ran chains on the Dart in '72 on the way west a few times - broke them a couple times too. No damage to the car, If the snow tires had been new instead of almost worn ort the chains would not have been required except through the Judith Gap, where "no chains, no go" was in effect (even though we were the first car following the plough)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My arguement is "different" not "better" or "worse". I drive both and am comfortable with both. I certainly don't drive the FWD Taurus the same as I drivethe RWD Ranger - yet either one will get me where I need to go in any weather.

Gopod snow tires make either one quite capable. The truck has a LOT more ground clearance - which helps in some conditions.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

He who is Clare Snyder said on Fri, 08 Dec 2017 13:33:52 -0500:

We agree that they both "handle", and that this handling is "different". Of that there is no doubt.

You know the old adage, that when you lose control with one around a curve, the main difference is which quarterpanel hits the guard rail - the front or the rear.

I hate the feel of FWD when you press the accelerator in a curve, as it takes the steering out of your hands (at least it does in rental cars).

But maybe others enjoy that. I don't know. I never will own FWD and I don't have all that much more to go so life's too short (what's left anyway) to argue about it.

If you love FWD, I'm happy for you. I'm not going to change your mind.

Reply to
harry newton

torque steer on FWD vehicles is basicvally a non-issue today - and was not a problen on the renault or the Peugeot either. A wee bit on the Mini - but torque on the mini was basicaslly only in your imagination anyway. The only car I've ever driven that was faster in 3rd than in4th - if that tells you anything!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

rbowman posted for all of us...

When I was young and (I still am) dumb an older fellow said to mount snows on Thanksgiving and take them off on tax day.

Reply to
Tekkie®