Ceiling Speakers? Where to buy?

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase In-ceiling speakers for a bathroom? I live in Southern Ontario and am looking for a store where I can check out a few options. THANKS

Reply to
R Doornbosch

Hi,

Anywhere you buy car speakers is good. Car speakers work in ceilings great and have the decorative covers.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

what about the moisture from the bathroom.

Reply to
R Doornbosch

shouldnt be an issue. lots of speaker cones these days are made of plastic. a few manufacturers make "marine grade" speakers, for boats. ive seen em at fry's and good guys.

Reply to
SoCalMike

Car speakes and stereos are basicly " marine grade" , I looked for a boat stereo, they are car stereos with a plastic cover. Your car has major extremes in temp and humidity.

Reply to
mark Ransley

youd still wanna stay away from the cheaper speakers that still use paper cones.

Reply to
SoCalMike

Completely false. marine stereos have completely potted circuitboards and other anticorrosion measures that no car stereo has. You just don't know what you are looking at.

Same goes for boat speakers. You can point the garden hose right at them with no ill effects. You sure can't do that with car speakers!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

You shure can get a plastic coned car speaker wet no problems at all , nothing to corrode, where you been livin in a time warp , Talk to dealers of stereos they say the guts are the same for 95 % of them and marine grade doesnt mean they take water well . The lifespan on your everyday marine CD player is less than a cars unit

Reply to
mark Ransley

What about the regular outdoor speakers sold at high end hifi stores? Are these the same as marine grade? I want to install some in my garage.

Reply to
Rob

Outdoor and good car speakers with Plastic cone , butyl surounds are weatherproof, all coils are treated , as are the magnets, baskets are sprayed steel or aluminum. What you dont want are foam surrounds and paper cone.

Reply to
mark Ransley

In a garage you should be able to get by with regular speakers. If you want to get outdoor rated ones, go ahead, but for inside a garage it's not necessary.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Wrong again markie boy. It takes more than a plastic cone to make a spaeaker marine grade. Car speakers have voice coils that are in no way protected from the effects of damp salt air. The cone material is only one factor. The frames are also not suitable in most cases.

Stereo sales people are not likely to know about the differences in marine equipment. They want to sell you what they have on the shelf so they can collect their commision. The marine versions DO have essentially the same guts on a part for part basis, except many of the metal parts are made of different materials, and the boards are potted.

The reason a marine CD player doesn't last as long as a car unit is because it is in a very harsh environment. a Car CD player in that environment would last even less time.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Wrong again Binary bill All voice coils are sealed. otherwise there would be a Direct Short, commonly refered to as a blown speaker. Did you ever look at one or work on one . Didnt think so. Did you ever look at a blown coil from overvoltage , well the coatings can be burnt brown. And what are they treated with? Years ago shellac or varnish. Today, weather restistant polys, of different types. So you figure it out , A UV resistant , water proof rubber surround, cone, treated windings and magnets, sprayed steel , or aluminum frames- baskets, plated terminals and waterproof insulating blocks. Forget your sales brochure, forget what they hype, put your logic to work . Whats the difference

Reply to
m Ransley

All the head units ive seen under 400 dont have sealed boards only water resistant controls. Please be specific as to brand.

Reply to
m Ransley

Clearly you have no idea how a voice coil, or a speaker for that matter, is constructed. Voice coils are normally not sealed. There is an opening that is exposed to the air, that can allow water to fill the gap.

I have re-coned more JBL and Altec speakers than you have ever held in your hands. I was a factory authorized servicer for over 40 brands.

During my many years in the consumer electronics business (still hold a valid CET license with an unlimited rating) I was involved in every facet of electronics including retail, manufacture, design and service.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

The wire is sealed that is what I meant by sealed thats all that matters, Ive been taking them apart for 32 yrs so I know how they work Im a musician and have fried plenty for you to rebuild I still say top line car speakers are sold as marine. Same line, same top standards . Uv exposure on car rear window deck speakers is continual. And heat , well , easily 140 continous. So then again what is the difference, and who makes potted boards on regularly priced marine CD stereos

Reply to
m Ransley

Already explained that several times. Humid salt air is nothing like what you will find in the rear deak of a car. The laquer coating on voice coil wires is not gonna help at all when salt and humidity get in the gap. You show me a car speaker that works when completely submerged in a bucket of salt water, and I'll agree with you that you have found an example of ONE car stereo speaker that is the same as marine grade.

All of the major brands that offer a marine grade radio. Every single one.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Markie knows that he has spoken n>Are regular marine CD stereos car stereos in a water resistant

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Should we say Binary Ara AJ Oscar the bozo sailor man , always looking to disrupt any way he can

Reply to
m Ransley

When the booze wears off, could you please re-type whatever that is supposed to say in a form that we can understand?

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor