WTB: Flat Speakers

Hi, The new conservatory will have a dwarf wall at its base. The inside of this wall will be strapped with timber then sheeted with plasterboard.
I am wondering whether it would be sensible to build a pair of speakers into this small void between the front of the plasterboard and the wall. The gap would be about 25mm for the wood strapping and 12mm thickness of plasterboard giving about 37mm depth.
Any reasonably-priced speakers out there that would fit and give an OK sound quality? Tried a google search, found some wall speakers at TLC but their depth was 52mm.
Thanks
Mungo

I'd suggest looking at in car speakers.
sponix
sPoNiX wrote:

or do the second hand shops / ebay for some s/h flat panel boxes and strip the drivers and xovers out ?
On 17 Jan 2006 05:25:46 -0800, Mungo wrote:

The google key you want is "nxt flat panel". Plenty out there at prices from much too cheap computer speakers to how much! commercial ceiling units. The Wharfedale PP-S1 system looks good (on paper...).
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/range.php?range_id
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I really wouldn't recomend these (allthough try them for yourself) I found the sound quality pretty poor and they're not actually that slim either.
The Mission NXT stuff is much better (allthough more expensive)

Some people here even plaster over the speakers so your stud wall actualy becomes the speaker:
http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2005/articles20051202-01.html
marble wrote:

hmmm, methinks he's 12 years out ?
"It is now eight years since the first flat panel loudspeakers came onto the market"
what about those huge sony 'honeycomb flat panel with neoprene suspension' jobbies I was selling 20 years ago as part of 1500 - 2000 systems ?

I built flat panel speakers back in 1983 ... in masonite sheet cabinets (sound deadening) they were seen as the way forward at that time ... Wilmslow got the drivers for me.
Rick

I highly reccommend Kef's CI (custom install) series - www.kef.com. B&W do something similar www.bwloudspeakers.com