Pinching the Garage -effect on house value?

The missus would like a utility room for the washing machine, etc This would mean taking 1/3 of the back of the garage, currently a single garage big enough for one car. (I only have a motorbike and so personal use is not a problem) Hardly anyone in our road uses their garage for a car it would seem
Would reducing the garage to 2/3rd the length effect the house value? considering the house gains a utility room with access to the outside via a side door, this would be a benefit, no?
Thanks in advance
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

What sort of garage is it, where is it situated re. the house.

Integral garage, semi detached house, south coast UK
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

Does it need to be a real room? Couldn't you just put the washing machine in there? If it does need to be a room, then errecting a stud wall (possibly with a door in it) is easy, cheap, and undoable.

Can I put a door from the Kitchen into it though, if the 'room' is not insulated as per some buigling regs that someone will be along in a min to tell me about?
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

If you're going to put a door into the kitchen (I take it there isn't already a door directly into the garage from the kitchen) then you will need to "do things" which will depend on the existing garage floor level v. the house floor level, the type of door, etc. The insulation may not be an issue if you're not actually incorporating the garage into the living area. I should look on the 'net, and then approach your local council pen-pushers.

okgreat thanks
Vass wrote:

What about an external door which would make the garage still technically outside?

It has one, the missus refuses to carry her washing round the side, she wants a door inside from the kitchen, heh women eh ?
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

That's what I meant - a door between the garage and the kitchen but a proper external type door as opposed to an internal one IYSWIM
wrote in message>> It has one, the missus refuses to carry her washing round the side, she

That would be ok then? cool, if thats the answer and no inspectors needed or plans or council involvement
then I'll do just that and a stud partition in the garage as a 'temporary' option to future buyers thanks
--
Vass

or
However, if you decide not to tell them, at least do it to spec so there are no issues if the partition is removed. There must be a step down (or a barrier) from the kitchen to contain petrol fumes (something like 15 or 20cm, IIRC). The door doesn't need to be external. However, it DOES need to be a fire door. Also, either the frame or door must have intumescent strips to seal in the smoke (or alternatively, obscenely large door stops on the frame).
Such a door is a selling point even if the buyers prefer you to remove the stud partition.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

If you call 25mm obscenely large that is...
--
Cheers,

John.

Yep. I do. It offends my aesthetic sense. ;-)
Christian.

Thanks to all for your input on this one Just one more thing, Is there a limit to the width I can have this door between the Kitchen and the Utility room? Wanting to keep as much Kitchen wall space as possible thanks again
--
Vass

Vass wrote:

As in the smallest door size? - usually about 2'6" I think...
--
Cheers,

John.

On 18 Jan,

The bog and bathroom are 2'3" wide here. (The doors, that is.)
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Vass wrote:

I would ask a local estate agent [ "I'm thinking of selling...(!) ] and see what they reckon; the effect on house value may be very area-dependent and you may get a good steer on this from an agent.
One point to consider is, is there off-road parking for a car on a drive? That's almost as important I'd suggest; if you lose the garage and have no off-road parking, that would be a major downer for buyers IMHO.
david
Lobster wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this NG who "needs" a garage, but not for keeping a car in. We actually considered a house where they'd done this ("store room...up and over door"). It didn't put us off. The fact that the rest of the house wasn't up to much did though.
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Yes 2 spaces in front of the garage :-) yellow lines on the road :(
--
Vass