where to get a drywall 'nail locator'?

All I need is a simple nail finder/locator for finding the nails in the drywall. I KNOW where the studs are, but need to find screws/nails behind the taping plaster.

I remember years ago using a magnet mounted in a 'gimbal' structure that pointed to a nail. Unsuccessfully tried to make one. the one I made keeps missing the fasteners! If it 'sees' one, it is there, but even though I know there should be a nail somewhere within inches, can't find it. Usually misses screws, finds nails.

Closest walkin so far has been Home Depot Zircon whizbang for $49. TOO MUCH!! I don't want to find studs, just the nails

Next best has been Harbor Freight, Cen-Tec unit 5 in 1 for $8.99 Sounds great, I once ordered a Cen-Tech Sound Level Meter $14.99 before from them, very satisfied customer, replaced our $100+ unit. But this latest requirement just rankles me to pay 8.99 +6.99 shipping total of 15.98 for a simple little widget.

You guys ALWAYS know where to get stuff at great prices. Any help?

Anybody got one to send me, or provide a URL to get something?

Reply to
Robert Macy

The Harbor Freight 92375 is a good one.

When I had the floor insulated, the contractor kept poking himself on the nails sticking thru the floor. He solved the problem by pounding a bunch of them back up. I used the HF unit to find the nails thru the carpet and bang them back down before they tore thru the rug.

Reply to
mike

I've have a couple electronic stud finders. Not sure how they work, except they don't much work at all. Think I read here about using "super magnets" like what's found in hard drives, when I was putting up new trim. So I told my son to get a magnet from an old hard drive I had laying around. Best thing I ever used for finding studs. It'll stick on the wall right over the nail. I put a piece a masking tape on it to keep it from falling out of my fingers. Just move it lightly on the wall in moving circles and it'll stick when it goes over a nail. Couldn't be easier. Somebody posted a store-bought nail finder using these types of magnets, but I don't have the link. I'd buy one of those if I didn't have hard drive magnets handy.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Think this is what somebody posted about before.

But if you have an old hard drive to get a magnet from, save your money. When the magnet sticks just mark it or put a small piece of tape there.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Another thing that works is a small metal detector like the electro-metalalloscop 850.

Reply to
clare

You can get more nails, pretty cheaply, at the box stores...

Reply to
HeyBub

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I happen to have two old hard-drive magnets handy, so I just tried this.

And IT ACTUALLY WORKS! Provided I use the half of the magnet assembly which is flat, the magnet does indeed stick to the wall right over the screw.

(The other half of the magnet assembly has a few tangs rising up from the backing plate, creating an air space between wall and magnet which greatly reduces the attraction of the magnet to the screw.)

However, it is a bit time-consuming finding studs this way, since with the magnet you're locating a point (the screw), whereas with a proper stud- finder you're looking for a line (the wood).

Reply to
Tegger

"Bob F" wrote in news:jbrpnr$c65$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It sure does!

If you don't have any old hard-drives available, you can call around to the little hole-in-the-wall computer-repair places. They often have old hard drives left over from upgrades. If the drive is old and small enough, they might give it to you for free, or for really cheap.

Sometimes people leave old computers at the curb, hoping somebody will take them away. Usually they're stripped of the hard-drives, but next time you see one, have a peek inside; you might get lucky.

I just counted mine: I have at least 20 old hard-drives lying around, not counting the really ancient ones with stepper motors and hand-written test stickers on them...

Reply to
Tegger

True Value also has them.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

You need something more than a cheap refrigerator magnet. Get RARE EARTH magnets, which you can find at Radio Shack. They're much stronger and more sensitive to the small bits of metal you're trying to find.

Why are you trying to find the nails? You can't remove them without destroying the drywall, so if your intent is to remove them why not just rip down the drywall and put up new?

Reply to
dennisgauge

Thanks, I did envision a 1/4 inch diameter coil, electronics powered by LR42, and piezo speaker squeeling as the coil goes over ferro material. I can design, just don't want to.

Search for electro-metalalloscop 850 turned up this group

Search for electro-metalloscop 850 turned up all non-English sites

Is product sold in US? How much?

Reply to
Robert Macy

LOL! I'm cheap, not that cheap.! ...But I confess to saving the screws.

Reply to
Robert Macy

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Again, I can SEE the studs, just can't find the nails/screws buried beneath tape/plaster jobs. Yesterday, I KNEW there were two each somewhere within one inch diameter and COULD NOT FIND THEM!!

Reply to
Robert Macy

Not using 'refrigerator magnet, using the plastic shrouded Security magnet from doorway switch. Strong, but not good enough. It is not finding screws 3/16 inch below plaster/tape job! Nails, yes, screws, no.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks for the positive feedback on that unit. It is by Cen-Tech

My previous experience with Harbor Freight was a Cen-Tech Sound Level Meter which was great experience. No hesitation to go back to HF, except...the unit is $8.99 and shipping is $6.99. Just hate to pay for the unit twice.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Finally someone asked the question I had. I've always been interested in finding STUDS. Why the need to find nails when you know where the studs are?

Reply to
trader4

The world will never know the answer... OP completely ignored my question.

At least he didn't come back with some overcomplicated, overpriced, half-assed, hair-brained way to deal with a simple issue, and eleventy- dozen excuses why the simple, straightforward, accepted way to go about it.

Reply to
dennisgauge

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't have to search the entire wall for those "points".

Find one nail/screw in a corner and measure 16" from there. Now all you have to do is find pints along vertical lines.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep. And most people can "measure'" 16" close enough without a tape. I find it much faster to use the magnet than an electronic stud finder, which has to be moved slowly. Besides that the electronics can give false readings in some places. Don't know why, but happens mostly near corners or doors, maybe because of headers or doubled studs. Also noticed they can pick up a stud at one point in the wall but then it's tricky to pick it up higher or lower. Might be different mass or something, might be the electronic stud finders I've used are crap. I always drilled with an 1/8 bit to confirm when using them. Anyway, when the drywall was nailed or screwed up the installer put them in the studs, so there's no question with those nails, and I don't drill.

The trick is to use a piece of masking tape on the back of the thin magnet so it doesn't pop out of your fingers every time it hits a bump. Grasp the masking tape and use a finger to lightly press the magnet against the wall Then you can move it very fast in a 6" circle across the wall. If it doesn't dead stop over a nail it'll pull enough to take you right to it. When I did baseboard and crown molding I stuck a little piece of masking tape over the 2 low and high nails, and the ceiling joist nails closest to the wall. Eyeballed the centerline of the 2 pieces of tape to nail. In close to 200' of nailing not a single nail missed the stud/joist.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Why? Are you re-using it? If not, just use a knife, then a flatbar to pop it off, then take out the nails/screws. If you want to re-use it though, I guess you could go after the screws. Wouldn't work with nails. Too much gouging. Use a super magnet to locate the screws.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith