Painting

I used to buy all my paint at a small private company that has gone out of business. I bought something that was called Painter's Insurance. It was a can - said 100% acrylic -- of nearly clear liquid and I mixed it one part PI to 2 parts water....then used it to cover areas where the paint was coming off. I think it served the same purpose as Kiltz. I need to re-paint some semi-gloss trim and want to put that on before painting with the finish coat. Does anyone know if Painter's Insurance is sold anywhere else? It costs a lot less than Kiltz and it did a good job. If not I guess I will have to buy Kiltz ... want to change a wall from semi-gloss water based to flat.

Reply to
Dottie

You may be trying to solve the wrong problem.

The new paint should be indifferent to whether it's covering the previous paint or an over-coat of primer.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which particular product/brand I don't know but sounds like one of the stabilizers intended to help bind flaking paint.

If so, is _not_ at all the same thing as Kilz (btw, no "t" there) and Kilz is a brand name for a line of primer products, the most famous of which (and after which were named) includes a mildewcide.

Unless you have a mildew problem (unlikely from the description), there's no reason for Kilz specifically and unless you do have a surface problem of the existing paint flaking you in all likelihood don't need the product of which you asked.

Clean thoroughly, lightly sand and paint.

Reply to
dpb

This might be a good place to start...

couillion

Thank you! The product I want is that -- I called and talked to the owner of that web site. He sells Painters Insurance down in St. Petersburg but that is too far to drive. He also said that Kilz is not the same thing. He suggested a product by Sherwin Williams. Its not the same but the closest ... for what I want.

Reply to
Dottie

.

I spoke to soon! I went to the Sherwin Williams web site and the product he recommended is not what I want. My problem is that paint has started peeling off from the trim around the door. Don't know why

-- it seems to happen here in Florida. I want to scrape off the loose paint then put a coat of clear sealer on top - followed by a new coat of paint. I could do that with the Painters Ins. and when it dried you couldn't tell that there had been a problem. I did paint the whole door frame -- but I don't mind that. Does anyone know of a commercial product I can buy that will do the same thing. I also want to use it for another project. I painted my entrance hall with semi- gloss paint. I would like to change it to flat... it's all water based. Reckon Kilz will do that? I mean, go over it with Kilz and when it dries, paint it with flat paint. Need suggestions here.

Reply to
Dottie

To get the best results get all the paint off. But you don't want to do that, and I know the feeling. I never heard of the paint you used, but it sounds like a "leveler." My garage has some spots where the paint peeled off and the rest of the paint is stuck on good. When I was getting ready to paint it I bought a tub of vinyl spackle to spread where the paint came off so as to level the surface. We're talking about maybe 1/16" difference between old and missing paint. Leveling would make for a better finished job. It would take just a little sanding if the putty knife work was good. Leveling paints work pretty good on horizontal surfaces, but not vertical surfaces such as you're dealing with, or my garage. Now I hate to say this, but I never got around to doing the garage, so I can't say how the vinyl spackle would work.

Just let me know the results if you try it. Reason I say that is because of a story I read long ago about a taciturn Vermonter and a city fellow who moved to a farm next to him to become a "gentleman farmer." The newcomer bought a mule, which soon got sick. He went over to the Vermonter's place and told him what the mule's symptoms were. The Vermonter said, "Yep, had a mule with the same condition." Then he sealed his lips. The city lad pressed on to get more. "What did you do?" The non-talkative farmer said, "Made him drink a quart of turpentine." So the newcomer left and went to town and got a quart of turpentine and a funnel. Using the funnel he poured the turpentine down the mule's throat. A minute later the mule keeled over dead. The young man ran back to the Vermonter's farm and confronted him. "I did what you said you did and my mule keeled over dead!" The Vermonter said, "Yep. So'd mine.

Anyway, fair warning about that vinyl spackle..

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

First, "Kilz" is a brand, with many types of paint/primers, but Kilz does make primers for your need. And paint doesn't peel according to the state you live in...most likely, peeling is due to improper preparation (a glossy/greasy/wet substrate). I've seen a lot of latex paint applied over hard, glossy enamel, which almost guarantees failure.

When paint is peeling you need to scrape/sand to remove all of the loose paint and to degloss the surface. Any name brand of paint with appropriate primer should be fine if applied properly, so don't wear yourself out looking for a particular brand.

IMO, latex paint is a poor choice for trim because it is likely to have plenty of dings and is just about impossible to sand when it is time to repaint because it rolls and peels when sandpaper is applied. I use alkyd semigloss for trim, as it takes wear much better.

Reply to
Norminn

[...]

There is a product called XIM that may be something you can use. The website does not address pealing paint specifically but it is intended to be used as a penetrating primer sealer in similar cicumstances.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron