what type of fitting is this?

I'm using it for electronics, but I see it used to hook around much larger posts. Need to find out what it is called. Thanks.

Jim Horton

That is called a slip ring twist.

Hose clamp

Reply to
gfretwell

What yo describe is a hose clamp.

Reply to
micky

I've never seen tiny electronics-sized ones - but they are commonly used on small engine fuel hoses - ~ 1/4 - 3/8 inch size

John T.

Reply to
hubops

For years the car companies used them on radiator hoses. They were up around 2" in some cases. It was just because they were cheap. Most car owners bought tracked hose clamps if they were working on their own cars.

Reply to
gfretwell

It looks like what is known in electronics as wire wrap.

The article better explains the concept.

Normally a tool is used to wrap the wire. I have one here somewhere, not used in a long time.

Reply to
Xeno

I've got a couple. One is like pictured in the article where you cut the wire to length, strip the ends, and then wrap the connections. The other is similar to this:

but the wire used is the standard Kynar insulated type and wrapping it around the posts cuts through the insulation at the corners. It's a lot faster.

I miss the days when I could wirewrap a working Z80 computer on the kitchen table.

Reply to
rbowman

I think he's talking about these critters.

They were used as a cheap substitute for fahnestock clips in many low-end electronics experimenter kits in decades past.

See

Clare Snyder

These are interesting - but - the written description in the OP's link doesn't seem to match . . John T.

Reply to
hubops

Except the spring concept in the OPs description has a self clamping effect on the rod it is attached to. The above springs were colloquially known as *rat trap springs* and didn't clamp onto the rod but were usually free to swivel around on it.

Reply to
Xeno