what type of fitting is this?

I'm using it for electronics, but I see it used to hook around much larger posts. Need to find out what it is called. Thanks.

What kind of electronics, pray tell? Hose clamp like that would never be suitable for electronic anything that I can imagine.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, it would be helpful if we knew if he's intending to use it to hold some widget to a pole or if he's trying to connect a wire to something with it. So far, I'm thinking it's a spring type hose clamp.

Reply to
trader_4

Not a hose clamp. Wrong concept. I can see what the OP is getting at from the description given and I have seen, way back in the distant past, devices that operate on the same principle - easy attach and quick release. Wire wrap is the closest to the principle but, once tightened, is not easy to release sans tool.

Reply to
Xeno

And you see whatever it is you're talking about used not only for electronics but for 'much larger posts"? That's what he said his widget is and that's all he gave to go on, ie we don't know if it's for electrical connection or to hold mechanical parts together. He used a piece of wire to show what it looks like, but it's not clear to me that he's using it for an electrical connection. The hose clamp devices fit from small hose size up, including about the size he showed, but not small posts like for wire-wrap.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes. Way back I have seen the principle used.

As I said, the only device I can recall in recent times that uses the principle was wire wrap. Rat trap springs and over centre springs use the post as a pivot point rather than clamping onto it. The principle - spring to open, release to clamp - is simple enough but I cannot for the life of me recall where I saw the described principle in operation.I can remember having to do that to get a spring like device off something but not what it was on. Probably on a piece of mining machinery back in the

70s.
Reply to
Xeno

How is that different than the spring type hose clamps that have been discussed?

Reply to
trader_4

Something closer to this concept?

Clare Snyder

I've seen set screw type clamps in a gym but most are simple spring collars.

Reply to
rbowman

That talks about spring wire but when you cut through the jargon it's talking about wire nuts.

Reply to
rbowman