Genie Garage Door Opener model 3055 after power outage

Lightning knocked out the transformer providing electricity to our house. Since then, we have no power to the garage door opener. The receptacle has electricity, but nothing on the opener works—not the wall console or electric eyes...nothing. Would it most likely be a transformer in the unit or???

Reply to
Getitdone

A pole near the house of a a friend of mine was hit by lighting. Verizon gave her a whole new DSL kit, and she installed all of it. I got the old one and the wall wart was bad. I assume the rest is good.

Don't these openers have an LED that lights when there is power? Is it lit?

Do you have a voltmeter? You should. Disconnect the transformer from the unit and measure the voltage of the transformer. I don't know if it will be AC or DC, so try both scales. You should have at least 6 volts, probably 12, report back.

If it doesn't work you can look for a transformer with the same voltage and as much amperage, or you can buy a universal one with adjustable voltage, as long as the amperage is as great as what you're replacing. I would buy both and use the universal one every time a wall wart breaks, until I have time to buy a better replacement, but using a universal one permanently is not bad either.

Reply to
micky

Lightning is tricky. It could be the transformer, but other possibilities are the diodes in the power supply (or a diode bridge if it has one). Or, a capacitor. Or, an IC. Or... etc etc. About ten years ago, we had a nearby lightning strike that took out all sorts of random things including our garage door opener. I didn't have time to troubleshoot so I went over to Home Depot and bought a new one. It didn't take more than an hour to install it, but when I tried it, it had the exact same symptoms. It turned out the lightning had shorted the wire going to the safety system photo cell under a staple in the door trim. The opener was fine. Like I said, lightning is tricky. That same lightning strike destroyed an electronic thermostat. Upon opening it up, the was a transistor completely blown off the circuit board with pieces of plastic all over the insides of the case. However, the furnace / AC was fine. Nearby TVs and cable boxes were also fine.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Fuck I cannot read a million lines. The surge blew the fuse to your opener, saving it. Find and fix.

Reply to
Thomas

That would be my first thought too.

Reply to