What screws to rehang a door, going to store soon.

It seems to me to be a cross-grain glue joint. Not as strong as a long-grain glue line, and not as weak as gluing to endgrain.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A proper glue joint would be impossible to break just by tightening a screw.

We would need more details regarding the cabinet material, glue used, and method applied before we could explain why your "glue-job" didn't hold up to tightening of the screw.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I haven't heard of a cross-grain joint, but I know what you mean. The grain is certainly perpendicular, but AFAIK it's still long grain to long grain. The only other option would be end grain, and this isn't that.

Either way, the important point is that it's not the glue joint that will fail, unless perhaps a person was using a weird kind of glue or something. I'm not even sure what would be that weak, that a turning screw could break it.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

How long of a dowel/plug do you expect Micky to be using?

He's got a hole from a 7/8" screw, part of which was in the hinge. We're suggesting replacing the existing screws with 2 1/2" screws. The 2 1/2" screw probably won't even have threads where the original hole is. The threads will be biting into the stile beyond the original hole.

I'd probably fill the hole with something just because I'm anal, but from a structural viewpoint, it's not even necessary.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

By the time micky sets up to do all of that he can get a new door and frame. Plug cutters work best with a drill press too.

With longer screws most any of the suggestions should work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Including the matchsticks. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Isn't anybody going to suggest a Vix bit for after he puts the dowels in the holes and loses the already centered screw hole?

Marilyn Manson

I consider Vix bits to be a nice-to-have, not a must-have. I have a set that I picked up about 8 years ago, but I got along just fine without them for the decades before that just by being careful when I drill.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Al

Reply to
Big Al

IIRC, he was using Canadian glue :-)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A simple centering punch of the correct diameter is sufficient.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 3:40:20 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote: That said, I don't have a plug cutter and dowels have worked very well for me so far.

It being Micky, about an 80% chance he'll burn the house down again first.

Hope he's okay.

Reply to
TimR

Sufficient doesn't mean efficient.

If I need to install 6' of piano hinge, punching then drilling may be "sufficient", but a Vix bit is much more *efficient*.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Wasn't the OP fixing a single hinge?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

One door kicked in, likely three hinges.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In fact he said 3 hinges and that surprised some.

Reply to
4587Joey

Actually, it was the top 2 of 3 and if the top 2 had 7/8" screws, odds are pretty high that the 3rd one does also. It sounds like 12 screws should be replaced assuming he wants to go with longer screws for all 12.

Does Micky need a Vix bit? Well, it certainly can't hurt. I doubt that he has has a "centering punch of the correct diameter" so he might be buying tools anyway.

The price difference is negligible and I think Micky would fair better with a Vix bit.

Yes, a centering bunch is a more generalized tool, but we're talking about ~$8 purchase. Heck, buy both. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I got a 28 pc set of transfer punches from HF for less than USD10. Today they're USD12.

They've been very useful. Of course, HF has a 3pc vix knockoff for USD9.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Micky should buy both. With inflation, they'll be USD15 and USD12 in a few weeks.

He can sell them for USD15 and USD12, saving the buyer the sales tax and making a couple of bucks. He'd be "renting" the tools and making a profit when he's done with them.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Nah. As soon as somebody sees the door has been repaired, they'll realize he bought those tools, and they'll come to steal them.

Reply to
TimR