What's wrong with PEX ??

Just wondering. Why is the City of San Diego not allowing PEX? I was under the impression that PEX was the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. What's wrong with the stuff?

"the City of San Diego will halt the acceptance of applications requesting the use of PEX. This policy will become effective immediately for all projects including re-piping projects."

Is PEX cheaper to install and thus not acceptable to our labor unions? City Hall recently voted to keep Wal-Mart out of San Diego. Wal-Mart is not unionized. Any other reasons for prohibiting PEX? Any other cities prohibiting PEX?

Reply to
Walter R.

The allow it for closed loop system, but not potable water. Chemicals that are safe around the world may cause cancer in California. It may be that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I believe the State of California is known to cause cancer...

Reply to
Pete C.

Some company that doesn't make PEX but a legal competitive product paid off a city official or gave him big bucks for his campaign. It probably got voted in because the city officers had no idea what the stuff is.

John

Reply to
runsrealfast

Here's the story:

It looks to me like California rejects the NSF's safety testing and wants to do their own test to certify PEX.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

One city in CA was getting set to ban the dangerous chemical dihydrogen monoxide until someone told them what it is ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

These guys were probably behind it.

Kurt Ullman

San Diego ended up with all the lawyers, because San Francisco got first pick.....

-- Oren

Oren

Darn it Frank. You posted my post.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I lived in a town that would not allow nothing except cast iron for waste lines.I became good friends with a union plumber and found out that the plumbers' union didn't want to loose that part of their work so cast iron was kept in the local code.

Reply to
TH

Reason? IT'S CALIFORNIA, THE STATE OF INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what do you expect from a state that voted in a sex offender as governor?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Well they were just following the lead of the rest of the US in '92 and '96.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Years ago it was the same thing with copper versus PVC.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Huh? Citation please.

Reply to
Abe

California is like a whole country of lobbiests. I heard in San Fran you can't use PVC, copper only. Since profits are a percentage of wholesale price, if you can force a universal jack up of housing costs, builders make boo coo bucks.

Reply to
797879

That's right! Explain it too me Lucy! Hurry up, I have Bongo lessons!

-- Oren

Oren

California has 30+ million people...it's nearly unworkable, so many special interest groups

PEX ok'd is on a city by city basis....all the new construction in the "Inland Empire" / high desert is PEX.

about 200 cities have given the ok besides no one in SD drinks the tap water....way to high in TDS, approaching salt water

my in-laws have lived in SD for 20 years & they never drink it nor do I when I visit...the stuff tastes rather salty

FYI The SF bay folks actually want people to move away from copper to PEX or other plastics since copper water lines actually increase the copper load in the bay.

If you guys think this place is crazy now just wait until we have 40 or 50 million

Reply to
BobK207

Doctor's office magazine had an article on the Governator long before running for office and it talked about his sexual abuse of women. Then there was the last Terminator move he did where he took a forced picture of the woman's breasts. Don't you read the news?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Sex is one of the reasons people strive to achieve high office. My hero, and best example, is short, looks like a frog, has a gravelly voice, not rich, is of the wrong religion, commands no great business or wealth, but dated many beautiful women (Jill St. John, Candice Bergen, Marlo Thomas, Barbara Walters). His famous line: "Power is the only true aphrodisiac" is self-evident.

He's NOT from California, either.

It is left to the reader to remember his name.

Further hints: He has a Nobel Peace Prize and he's not Jimmy Carter.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ah yes.. One of the main reason the Nobel PP has lost some of its credibility. Good Ole Hank showed up on CSpan the other day for some reason.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman