What's up with Canada and horizontal electric panels?

That's interesting. Not sure I've paid close attention to new US panels. Do they have the service wires in a separate section now too? All the panels I've seen here there has been no separation. But even if there is required separation, I don't see why that would block off the whole top of the panel. I would think it would just block off the center third or so where the service comes in and the main breaker is located.

With the large number of circuits

I agree. But here in the US they are vertically mounted and the wires come in at the top (mostly). At least in panels as of about

7 years or so ago, which is the latest vintage I've been involved with.
Reply to
trader_4

replying to DD_BobK, Al5 wrote: There is no such thing except in large switch gear. Breakers in up position are on and down is off. All residential breakers are thrown side to side

Reply to
Al5

replying to krw, Al5 wrote: You cant have to independent busses they need to alternate so u can a have double & triple throw breakers

Reply to
Al5

In Canada panels are very often mounted horizontally. Why not??? The breakers are marked "on" and "off" and Canadians know how to read.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 2/18/2018 8:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

But why? I've never seen one manufactured with the obvious intent of being mounted that way as all the lettering is long-side up when it is in normal reading position...it's not like they're any smaller and unless there are enough openings to route everything through the one side the runs have to go around the box, anyway...

Just see no logic in doing so...

Reply to
dpb

the runs come in the top, which is impossible with the panel mounted vertically as the main is then at the top - - - The "lettering" is on stickers that are often loose in the box, to be installed by the installer. Horizontal installation takes less "vertical" space, so you don't have to reach as high for the breakers - they can ALL be at eye level.

So many very obvious advantages for the way Canadian houses are built and wired. Some of these panels are almost 3 feet long!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It makes no sense to me either.

Reply to
trader_4

You have 3 feet of clear space in a wall with no studs plus the wire bending space? What holds the roof up?

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't know about in the USA, but a service box is mounted on a service board that bridges the studs. The "wire bending space" is generally above or below the panel since the wires generally run either through the ceiling/roof area or through the floor joists to the service panel (which is generally either in the basement or garage). Main floor service panels are rather rare.

The main power feed enters my panel on the left, and all of the branch circuits enter the right side of the panel from the top. The wires all go straight up to the garage ceiling (all except circuits added since originalconstruction) run up inside the wall and above the finished garage ceiling to the main part of the house where they enter between the mainfloor ceiling and the upper story floor. The upper sory wiring runs through the floor to the walls and up to switches and outlets, and up to ceiling lights. Mainfloor wiring is devided between the ceiling space and the basement,

The original (fused) panel was closer to square with the main also on the left.

Perhaps the reason replacement pannels are installed crosswise is because of the way the Canadian fused panels were configured - remember a LOT of "american" electrical equipment is pretty foreign" to canada and does NOT meet Canadian regulations.

A friend had an American friend help him wire his basement apartment, and he brought wire and boxes from the states with him. Significantly less expensive.

Until the inspector noticed there was no CSA or ULC stamp on the wires or boxes, and he had toi tear it ALL out.

Reply to
Clare Snyder