What kind of tape for this horror show?

Just removed a wood frame window from its tracks so I could clean & paint it, and found that the outside sill beneath the window is rotted to the point where it's the consistency of blue cheese. Before discovering this, I had plenty of time to prime & paint the window and get it back in place. But, this rotted wood discovery may delay things, so I'll have to cover the window area with plastic, due to rain on the way in a couple or three days. I don't get a good feeling about masking tape staying in place when wet. Duct tape - gotta leave a sticky mess on the siding, and if I clean off the goo, I'm guessing I'll then have to clean the whole side of the house. Not an option.

What kind of tape might deal well with moisture for 3-4 days?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My guess is that *any* type of tape is going to take the dirt off, and I don't think duct tape will get gooey in such a short period of time, so I'd opt for the duct tape. in other words, whatever you use may leave behind some evidence, so you might as well just go for it.

On the other hand, do you really need to seal the window or just protect it? I recently replaced a window in the rain, which included painting, caulking etc. It was the last window of nine, and it would have meant at least a 2 week delay before I could get back to the project if I let the rain stop me.

I rigged up a tarp from an upper window and roof section and tied the bottom off with ropes and tent pegs, making a slanted tent over the first floor window. I left it up for 3 days until the sun finally came back out, by which time the caulk and paint were dry enough to expose to the elements. Wind would have been a problem, but I got lucky.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are no eaves on this particular side of the house, so I really do need to seal the window. The screen is still in place (it's a stupid arrangement), so I wrapping that with plastic just to keep the room warm/cool/whatever. But, any rain hitting that window opening will drain under the screen and down the recently painted walls. Not good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It just got more interesting. Removed the little clamps that hold on the storm windows, lifted out the storm window, and half the putty from the wood frame window came along with it. The people who owned the house before me were young. They didn't know the rule about curing time for paints, putties, etc: It always takes two to ten times longer than whatever the instructions say.

At this rate, we're talking a week, round trip, for putty, primer, high gloss paint. Phuque!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then just nail a tarp or piece of plastic over it and be done with it.

--

Reply to
dpb

Nail through my siding? I think not.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

-- Nail through my siding? I think not

Screws?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Considering my current mood, this is looking like a better idea:

Drive a stake into the holes....

I shouldn't be in this mood. This house has been mostly trouble free. But I hate puttying windows, and then waiting and waiting and waiting...

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Edge of the window frame.

--

Reply to
dpb

idea:

- I shouldn't be in this mood. This house has been mostly trouble free. But I

- hate puttying windows, and then waiting and waiting and waiting

...which is one of the main reasons why I decided to replace my windows a few months ago. It was either reglaze the panes, paint the sashes and caulk the storms before winter or just bite the bullet and replace them.

The other reason was the triple track storms - picture a week of 90 degree days and 70 degree nights. We were running the air conditioner on cool nights because we didn't want to go around the house wrestling with the storms before bed and then wrestling with them again when we got up.The first time I realized that it was hotter in the house with the AC on than it was outside, I knew it was time to take some action.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

New windows are a couple of years away for me. I wish....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Any tape you use is going to make a mess if it gets sunshine.

Could you trap a piece of plastic between the upper sash and top of the window and extend it to the ground where you could weight it down?

A blowing rain it going to get in no matter what you do.

Reply to
Colbyt

on 10/5/2007 2:06 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

3M clear duct tape. I used it outside in the summer for weeks and it didn't deteriorate like the grey stuff, and when taking it off, it didn't leave that hard crap that had to be chiseled off. Some WD40 will remove the goo.
Reply to
willshak

There's no sash. These windows are weird. They're hinged at the top, latched at the bottom, and swing out. The screen's on the inside, set up the same way, but they swing inward. It's really stupid.

I have a total of 10 windows to paint, with enough room to work on 2 at a time. I'm thinking about getting a couple of pieces of plexiglass cut to size tomorrow, and wedge them in place with some weatherstripping.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Where did you find that, Bill? Big box store?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 10/5/2007 6:29 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Yes. I think that both HD and Lowes has it. I haven't checked in local hardwares since my local closed last year, despite my shopping there for

22 years..
Reply to
willshak

on 10/5/2007 7:13 PM willshak said the following:

willshak

If you can find gaffer's tape (try photographic, audio-video or lighting supply stores), that should be better (stronger, less mess) than duct tape.

Reply to
Erma1ina

Now, there's a good idea. There's a pro music store 10 minutes from here.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

-- New windows are a couple of years away for me. I wish

Do a room at a time. I couldn't be happier...except when I think about how I should have done a room at a time over the last 6 or 7 years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03