What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence?

What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence? open original image
What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence? open original image

I'm in the process of digging holes for a chain link fence, but I've encountered a few issues. There is a shed in my back yard where I had planned to dig a hole at the corner and then have it run about 7ft away to the corner of my neighbor's wooden fence. I had the utility company come and mark the lines, but they marked almost everywhere that I would be able to connect to the wooden fence. There is one spot, however, that I am trying to dig next to the fence. The problem is that it is directly next to a huge tree and there are roots I can not get past only 12 inches down. As there is no gate, it's a four foot fence, and it's only the two posts which compose this stretch of the fence, will it be an issue if I just lay construct it (with concrete) only a foot deep?

I've also attached pictures which show the location of the hole in question. As can be seen, I believe it'll be less exposed to the elements due to the neighbors wooden fence.

[IMG]
Nate

untered a few issues. There is a shed in my back yard where I had planned t o dig a hole at the corner and then have it run about 7ft away to the corne r of my neighbor's wooden fence. I had the utility company come and mark th e lines, but they marked almost everywhere that I would be able to connect to the wooden fence. There is one spot, however, that I am trying to dig ne xt to the fence. The problem is that it is directly next to a huge tree and there are roots I can not get past only 12 inches down. As there is no gat e, it's a four foot fence, and it's only the two posts which compose this s tretch of the fence, will it be an issue if I just lay construct it (with c oncrete) only a foot deep? I've also attached pictures which show the locat ion of the hole in question. As can be seen, I believe it'll be less expose d to the elements due to the neighbors wooden fence. [IMG]http://www.homeow nershub.com/img/2s[/IMG] [IMG]

--

The second post is 7ft away??? If so, just run a pipe along the top of the fence between the two posts, that will stabilize the shallow-rooted post a nd keep the fence taut. I have seen that done many times.

Reply to
hrhofmann

[...]

-

-

he fence between the two posts, that will stabilize the shallow-rooted post and keep the fence taut. I have seen that done many times.

It's not just how deep, how wide, how much mass that's a factor. If he can't go deeper, making it wider will help. Given the choices, a foot deep will probably do.

Reply to
trader_4

Nate,

Sounds too shallow. How are you digging these holes? I'm thinking that a

2 man power auger will not be detered by tree roots. Go to the rental place, get a friend, and auger all of the holes.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

fence installers around here use a tool to drive most posts in place. Other than corner or gate posts. Saves tons of time.

A heavy pipe with 2 handles that slide over the post, the slide fits over the post, and is raised and lowered, pushing the post into place.

This made me realize my fence which this was used on is over 15 years old. Its never been a problem. although the vehicle gate needs adjusted and the pin assembly thing needs replaced. It got broken last winter.

Reply to
bob haller

About the 100th time you raise the heavy pipe you realize pushing the post in place is a hell of a lot of work.

rbowman

What happens if the auger hits a root too big, and jams?

Won't it spin you and your friend in circles until you fly off?

Reply to
TimR

What happens if the auger hits a root too big, and jams?

Won't it spin you and your friend in circles until you fly off?

That's why you have a third person present to pull the power plug before they fly off into space. Maybe a new way to launch noon rockets????

Reply to
hrhofmann

It's not a hypothetical, it's a recent actual accident. There wasn't time to blink let alone kill power.

Reply to
TimR