What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence?

I'm in the process of digging holes for a chain link fence, but I've encountered a few issues. There is a shed in my back yard where I had planned to dig a hole at the corner and then have it run about 7ft away to the corner of my neighbor's wooden fence. I had the utility company come and mark the lines, but they marked almost everywhere that I would be able to connect to the wooden fence. There is one spot, however, that I am trying to dig next to the fence. The problem is that it is directly next to a huge tree and there are roots I can not get past only 12 inches down. As there is no gate, it's a four foot fence, and it's only the two posts which compose this stretch of the fence, will it be an issue if I just lay construct it (with concrete) only a foot deep?

I've also attached pictures which show the location of the hole in question. As can be seen, I believe it'll be less exposed to the elements due to the neighbors wooden fence.

[IMG]
read more and respond »

Posted 3 years ago by Nate in Home Repair

Report misuse

Image for What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence?