What is the Gold Coating they put on Deck Screws?

What is the Gold (colored) Coating they put on Deck Screws?

Anyone know?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Sounds like the polymer coating. Unless you are building a deck for Donald Trump; he wants real gold coating.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I rarely use them but haven't seen gold ones. I have seen beige and that is IIRC some sort of plastic. Two types of netal plating that result in a gold color are "yellow" zinc (zinc chromate) and cadmium.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have seen beige ones too, years ago. All I see sold now are these gold colored ones.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Fools gold. They rust just about as fast as the gray ones. Down here in the swamp it is go stainless or go home.

Reply to
gfretwell

It might be cadmium plating.

Reply to