What is the elastic strap for.

To the fonts of all knowledge, a question:
I just bought a windbreaker, made in China probably, nylon, lightweight, with a zippered-in hood and pockets for both hands.
The right hand pocket has a two pieces of elastic, about an inch wide, white, with plastic hooks/clips at each end that interlock, each 8 inches long. They're attached inside the pocket and long enough to come out of the pocket.
What are they for??
I borrowed a baby to see if it was a convenient way to carry one, you know better than on one's back or chest, making hanging from the side. But that did not work well. His toes kept dragging on the ground. I'm out of ideas.
On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 8:28:47 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

8 inches long when relaxed or stretched? If it can be stretched to a reasonable length, I would guess that they are for house keys or similar that you want to have in your pocket, so that you can use them, but not lose them. I've never seen it though.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 05:39:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

When relaxed.

The hooks at the end are as wide as the elastic, between 3/4" and an inch. Some key rings, etc. are big enough to take that, but not all.

I'm pretty sure the vendor woudn't know but it was at a public running race and he was gone by the end of the day.
But I'll ask in a store some time.

On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 1:19:54 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:

I have a jacket with similar lanyards sewn inside the front pockets. I clip a flashlight to one and a spare key ring on the other. They are handy and I don't lose them.
On 3/26/19 8:28 AM, micky wrote:

It's an anti pickpocket device in case you go to a DNC ralley.