drilling cast iron soil pipe for strap on boss?

Any good advice on the best way to drill a cast iron soil pipe for a 40 mm boss? Thanks.

Reply to
dennis

Good quality bimetal hole saw.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Do I need oil or other cutting fluid? How fast should I run the drill?

Someone is telling me they are so hard to drill I should just smash it and fit plastic.

Reply to
dennis

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:31:17 +0100 someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

You will need to fit plastic to replace everything above the new joint. How easy this is depends on the particular location.

Drilling, even just making a circle of small holes and joining them together means the work is in a small area, as opposed to a possibly large job all over the place.

Reply to
David Hansen

A good quality hole saw with pilot drill, running as slowly as your power drill will manage will go through it in a few minutes.

Never use cutting oils on cast iron - its always machined dry; the graphite in it is all the lubrication it needs.

If it's a strap-on boss check that it will fit - some CI waste pipes are odd diameters.

Reply to
Norman Billingham