drilling cast iron soil pipe for strap on boss?

Any good advice on the best way to drill a cast iron soil pipe for a 40 mm boss? Thanks.
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:27:13 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Good quality bimetal hole saw.
--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Do I need oil or other cutting fluid? How fast should I run the drill?
Someone is telling me they are so hard to drill I should just smash it and fit plastic.
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:31:17 +0100 someone who may be "dennis@home"

You will need to fit plastic to replace everything above the new joint. How easy this is depends on the particular location.
Drilling, even just making a circle of small holes and joining them together means the work is in a small area, as opposed to a possibly large job all over the place.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

A good quality hole saw with pilot drill, running as slowly as your power drill will manage will go through it in a few minutes.
Never use cutting oils on cast iron - its always machined dry; the graphite in it is all the lubrication it needs.
If it's a strap-on boss check that it will fit - some CI waste pipes are odd diameters.